Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Web marketing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Web marketing
    Posted: 21 February 2018 at 7:40pm
Since launching our website I’ve had endless amounts of emails from web marketing firms offering all sorts, my question is, had any one used any web marketing firms and had good results, they all claim to have a great CV testimonials and customer base, but it’s like a giant black hole, most of them suggesting that 100s maybe 1000s needs to be invested and any where for 6-18 month before you start seeing the enquiries come in.

I’ve never really considered it before, but it’s been on my mind since all the talk about it.
Cheers

Edited by nuclearbass - 21 February 2018 at 7:41pm
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 9:48pm
It's a big scam IMO. The urgency and pressure sell they throw at you is a dead give away for me, yes some of the SEO stuff they say they can do will help your web presence, they will help make your site look more Pro and make it easier for people to navigate on computer and portable device alike, but to get top billing on search engines you have to pay those entities(Google, etc) otherwise they "make it harder" by not giving you any preferential treatment. All of this you can do yourself without going through those middlemen companies, there are all kinds of DIY web site generators online, A google Adwords account will get you top billing, and you can lookup SEO optimization online and see what you need to do to make your site as web friendly as possible. All this will cost some real money but I have never spent more than a few hundred a year.. most of that going to Google and you will put some hours in on the SEO stuff.. but you only need to do that once.

Edited by Conanski - 21 February 2018 at 9:59pm
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 9:53pm
I was sceptical so I went to a local phisical web marketing place and this is what o was told
A Fundamentally your existing website has been built on ‘Locked Source’ technology using a Square Space ‘Drag & Drop’ solution.
B Locked Source means that no web development agency can change the code which is necessary to make your website Google Webmaster compliant.
C Your website has NOT been built inside Google Webmaster guidelines, determining poor Google and other SEO Insight scores.
D Your website violates several Google Webmaster guidelines and is almost certainly in penalty for several of those violations.
E Finally we, CANNOT repair/make-good/restore or develop in any way SquareSpace, GoDaddy, 1&1 plus several other off the shelf ‘Drag & Drop’ web builder solutions.

He sent them trying to upsell me a new site at £xxxx
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 10:05pm
Sounds quite plausible to me if you did use an auto-generated template type website.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Sounds quite plausible to me if you did use an auto-generated template type website.

I didn’t actually wrote it, a member on here inboxed me with otvre written I foolishly thought he’d done it him self as I didn’t know anything like that existed....

Any options on the other points ?
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 10:13pm
Google are aholes but if you throw some money at them they will direct traffic your way regardless what your site looks like. And yes all those SEO companies can build you a spiffy looking site that ranks high but is your website your business or is it just another tool to get some traffic in the door?  My business only serves the city I live in so I have no interest in advertising to the world, and $1000+ isn't pocket change to me so I don't care if I'm not #1 on their stupid list.

Edited by Conanski - 21 February 2018 at 10:14pm
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 10:14pm
better to try get into some venues/hotels, but the market is very crowded.

nearly all our work is repeat or recommendations, our website is just a holding page. 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by nuclearbass nuclearbass wrote:

I didn’t actually wrote it, a member on here inboxed me with otvre written I foolishly thought he’d done it him self as I didn’t know anything like that existed....

Doesn't matter who built the site and what tools they used, if you don't pay Google it won't show up in search engines.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by woody2 woody2 wrote:

better to try get into some venues/hotels, but the market is very crowded.

nearly all our work is repeat or recommendations, our website is just a holding page. 

We have quite a few regulars now customers and a lot of word of mouth work.
Just pondering if we spread our wings a little more is web marketing the way to go
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Doesn't matter who built the site and what tools they used, if you don't pay Google it won't show up in search engines.

Not totally true, Ive got a WIX site (drag and drop) and am on the 1st page of Google - admittedly for certain keywords. 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 2:13am
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

Ive got a WIX site (drag and drop) and am on the 1st page of Google - admittedly for certain keywords.
With the basic package?
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 7:22am
Conanski is correct, a buddy of mine sorts problems out for web site owners, AdWord, higher viz etc, he goes on about web marketing companies a lot, about how much of a scam they are, a simple a adword campaign is all most need.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>