Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wedding band MTH30 x 2 enough?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wedding band MTH30 x 2 enough?
    Posted: 09 August 2022 at 4:56pm
Hi,

I've been running an MTH30 off XLS1502 for a couple of years or so (not non stop!!) for pub band (reggae)

Might be building another MTH30 for  a covers band (mainly 80s) for weddings 

Tops wise- We already have a couple of EON 615 (dont kill me I didnt buy then Confused - woudl have gone for RCF / Yamaha / EV if it had been me ro even ALTOs) - or can use  my SLA PRO BFM cabs, but not sure if people want DIY tops at weddings tbh or how they woudl compare to the JBLs..

Will run the MTH30s off a bridged XLS1502 (so about 1500w at 4 ohm)- is this bascially a terrible idea !?

Basically looking at 100 people or so and wondered if anyone has run something similar  for live bands for similar size rooms please- We dont want concert levels , but sound mainly on dance floor for the inevitable drunken folk to have a dance- without killing granny on the side of the room or the back...

( Room sizes will vary - hope we can do up to a 30foot  wide room by up to about 60-70 foot deep I reckon. ANything bigger we'd hire in from a sound company.

Will be playing some tracks as well if they cant get a DJ with a system  - its going to be  well cheesy to be honest , already eyeing up a new headless bass and a headband...

Any advice always gratefully received!

Cheer
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2022 at 6:08pm
I support wedding DJs mostly but have done a few that had a band as well. Overall I think you are on the right track, in most cases you don't need club level sound in the whole room as people want to mingle and talk and take pictures, it's a social event so really you just need entertaining sound levels on the dance floor.

Those EONs are not doing your sound any favors but weddings can be good money so maybe the band will have some capital to invent in better FOH speakers down the road. 
As for running the subs on the bridged Crown, that is pushing the amp for all it's worth and it's an entry level unit not touring grade so that may or may not be reliable long term, if you had an amp that produced about 800w/ch into 8ohms you would likely never have a problem. 
ALt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2022 at 7:01pm
Ah cool.

The jbls we would like to replace for sure, the singer has had the for years and mainly as lightweight and he occasionally has to provide music when not singing. ( he does sinatra covers) hence a 15 inch top was bought for a bit of bass.

Personally I think they are a bit harsh sounding if pushed.

I did use some powered eV 12s ( ?zlx?) that were more musical at least me. We quite like the idea of 10s as tops as well. Any powered 10s that would be a good step up anyone? Budget about 1000 so second hand is definitely an option. Happy to diy if there's any good 10 plans put there with a matching crossover in plans! Any ideas folks?

Point taken on amps- I do have second 1502 crown amp so will ( for the mo) run second sub off that til we get the cash to upgrade. Would have to class D as back not what it was... Any ideas whats a step up from crown? 

Sorry for all the questions!

Al

Edited by ALt - 09 August 2022 at 7:16pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2022 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by ALt ALt wrote:

Personally I think they are a bit harsh sounding if pushed.
They're not great sounding overall.

I did use some powered eV 12s ( ?zlx?) that were more musical at least me.
I own 4 zlx-12ps, they get used as floor mons and as tops with DJs. They are a bit more musical sounding than EONs but they're still just entry level speakers, I wouldn't suggest making a small sideways step like this, for a live band where vocals are so important you want to aim higher. As an example a box like the RCF art932a would be a hugh step up in sound quality and performance. 

Point taken on amps- I do have second 1502 crown amp so will ( for the mo) run second sub off that til we get the cash to upgrade.

If you don't mind carrying the second amp that is an easy solution, they have more than enough power for those subs in that configuration so you're not missing any performance.

Edited by Conanski - 09 August 2022 at 10:19pm
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2022 at 11:26am
I have heard the 12" EONS and they are very bad even for budget speakers.  honestly though the sound I have heard at weddings has varied between bad and loud and bad so if your run them not into clip you're already sounding better than most weddings.  Quality expectations are probably very low and if you actualy produced a decent bass level the chance of noise complaints high.
 Post Reply Post Reply