Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What about power supply ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9uyd0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about power supply ?
    Posted: 31 July 2021 at 12:32pm
Hi everyone!

I just finished building my soundsystem. I got everything from amps to crossovers etc.
But now I see the problem with the powersupply, since you can't just plug everything into the wall( i think?)

So how does this need to be done? Where do you get your electricity from and wich cables do you need?

Blessings !!  Heart

Edited by 9uyd0 - 31 July 2021 at 12:32pm
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 2:33pm
 I actually get my electricity from British Gas (crazy overpriced) and Im ok for cables thanks.

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 31 July 2021 at 2:55pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by 9uyd0 9uyd0 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I just finished building my soundsystem. I got everything from amps to crossovers etc.
But now I see the problem with the powersupply, since you can't just plug everything into the wall( i think?)

So how does this need to be done? Where do you get your electricity from and wich cables do you need?

Blessings !!  Heart

Weeelll - it depends on the current draw you need. A (standard) wall socket can actually power quite a big system without any problem, due to the nature of muzak - the fact that it (usually) contains quite a large dynamic range, ie, there are gaps for the supply (amps) to recover & recharge the PSU's (capacitors).

However, if you have several large bass amps, for example, they will require a better supply, in which case you need to turn to something more robust, like 16A/32A or 64A supplies, either single or 3 phase.

You are then looking at investing in a decent distribution unit - or something cheap & cheerfull like this:-

https://www.musicstore.com/es_ES/EUR/Showtec-Powersplit-1-CEE-16A-5x-Schuko-1-5m-largo-de-cable-IP44/art-LIG0005551-000?campaign=GShopping/ES&ProgramUUID=6zfAqJarHo0AAAFlXSpyjI8p&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6ZOIBhDdARIsAMf8YyFjHcXC-fhr0vpvJpjQVaq81HFLU-ySWBBdcRX1i431nP-71arq6UEaAnATEALw_wcB

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 4:56pm

Why not? With a bigger system the total current draw can exceed the supply capacity of a single circuit but that just means you have to find more circuits to tap. The pros usually have a power distribution system where all power is tapped from a single high voltage/high current source and then split up into smaller circuits as required. 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 8:51pm
I think the original poster should say what amps he has and what he's running off them. Will give a lot more info for working out what is needed.
9uyd0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9uyd0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

I think the original poster should say what amps he has and what he's running off them. Will give a lot more info for working out what is needed.

It's just a question in general :))

Edited by 9uyd0 - 02 August 2021 at 5:45pm
9uyd0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9uyd0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 5:44pm

Edited by 9uyd0 - 31 May 2022 at 3:11pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 5:56pm

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Hi everyone!

Blessings !!  Heart

Weeelll - it depends on the current draw you need. A (standard) wall socket can actually power quite a big system without any problem, due to the nature of muzak - the fact that it (usually) contains quite a large dynamic range, ie, there are gaps for the supply (amps) to recover & recharge the PSU's (capacitors).

However, if you have several large bass amps, for example, they will require a better supply, in which case you need to turn to something more robust, like 16A/32A or 64A supplies, either single or 3 phase.

You are then looking at investing in a decent distribution unit - or something cheap & cheerfull like this:-

https://www.musicstore.com/es_ES/EUR/Showtec-Powersplit-1-CEE-16A-5x-Schuko-1-5m-largo-de-cable-IP44/art-LIG0005551-000?campaign=GShopping/ES&ProgramUUID=6zfAqJarHo0AAAFlXSpyjI8p&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6ZOIBhDdARIsAMf8YyFjHcXC-fhr0vpvJpjQVaq81HFLU-ySWBBdcRX1i431nP-71arq6UEaAnATEALw_wcB - https://www.musicstore.com/es_ES/EUR/Showtec-Powersplit-1-CEE-16A-5x-Schuko-1-5m-largo-de-cable-IP44/art-LIG0005551-000?campaign=GShopping/ES&ProgramUUID=6zfAqJarHo0AAAFlXSpyjI8p&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6ZOIBhDdARIsAMf8YyFjHcXC-fhr0vpvJpjQVaq81HFLU-ySWBBdcRX1i431nP-71arq6UEaAnATEALw_wcB

And how do you use such a thing? Where do you get your elektricity from then ?

I have a load of these down in my cellar generating all my power. Where do you get yours then??

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 7:11pm
Some sound systems are designed to run off 2 x 13a sockets.

I think that is a good format that is easy to use at many venues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 8:23pm
Series or parallel Hamps?
Seriously though,we normally knock up something similar to this 
https://youtu.be/XJVNT-LkCjA

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 02 August 2021 at 8:47pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 10:32pm

Obviously it's dependent on what you're running.  You may be able to run a rig off a couple of 13a wall sockets for a small event or run the same amps with more gear off multiple 16 or 32 amps for a much bigger one.  

Get a clamp meter, (these are cheap and really invaluable)  measure your  gear when running at actual levels for the music you're going to play and use data from real world measurements to drive your decision making.  Once you do this it'll be more clear what supply you can run it off. 

i suspect you'll be using less than you think.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 11:59pm

Obviously it's dependent on what you're running.  You may be able to run a rig off a couple of 13a wall sockets for a small event or run the same amps with more gear off multiple 16 or 32 amps for a much bigger one.  

Get a clamp meter, (these are cheap and really invaluable)  measure your  gear when running at actual levels for the music you're going to play and use data from real world measurements to drive your decision making.  Once you do this it'll be more clear what supply you can run it off. 

i suspect you'll be using less than you think.  
Unless your familiar with electrics/electronics a clamp meter is useless, what would you clamp it to?
A simple domestic 13a plug in power meter is way more usefull for testing individual items and whole systems.
The original question is from someone who knows "nothing" about electrics (no crime ,we all start there), suguesting 32a this ,3 phase that ,or even just "amps" really will not help.
Honestly in this situation just use a 3metre 4/6 way to 13a plug  into a wall socket. when was that ever problem?   (oh and perhaps put plug in RCD on the list)

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 03 August 2021 at 12:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>