Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What amplifier
    Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:55pm
Hi.

I have 8 speakers Bose rated 10-200 Watts/ channel rated 4 to 8 Ohms. 1EC 100W Continuous 6 Ohms.
I need an amplifier for them with two zones.
I bought Pioneer A10 but it blew up straight away.

I need to connect six speakers into one zone and 2 speakers to second zone.

Any help would be much appreciate :-)

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 11:37pm
You have to wire the 6 speakers in series/parallel to keep the total impedance reasonable, then it will run on just about any amp.
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

You have to wire the 6 speakers in series/parallel to keep the total impedance reasonable, then it will run on just about any amp.

This. Also connect the 2 speakers in series, most budget amps won’t like the 3 ohm load if you connect in parallel. If all this is baffling to you, google is your friend.

Edited by TMH Music - 20 March 2018 at 2:08am
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
a2212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 10:27pm
Thank you for your advise. Honestly I've spend hours on google but this is like magic to me.
I spoke today with a guy from "Richer sound" and he said there is no way I could connect 6 speakers to amplifier and that I should definitely not connect in parallel.
I just don't get it. Sorry.
The thing is, at the moment I have 6 speakers connected to one channel (directly not parallel) and 2 to the other one. It is and old Technics and works well but it makes noise when changing the volume up or down, that's why I need to change it.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 10:45pm
If you have six speakers connected to a Chanel, that is effectively parallel. Speakers connected in series is 'Daisy chaining' them. What you need to do to parallel/series is divide them into pairs. The wires for each pair are connected plus to plus minus to minus. This is a parallel pair. Do this with each pair. Now consider each pair as one speaker. Daisy chaining the three pairs is plus of first pair goes to amp plus terminal. Minus goes to plus of next pair, then minus goes to plus of 3rd pair and minus goes to minus amp terminal.
Essentially, parallel halves impedance, series doubles it so combining them you get to an impedance the amp will work with.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
a2212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 11:16pm
the way they are connected is:
Zone A -  three speakers are connected to the right channel and three to the left channel. All plus are together and all minus are together.
Zone B - one speaker to the right channel and one to the left channel.

Edited by a2212 - 20 March 2018 at 11:50pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 11:44pm
Sorry, you didn't say they were connected like that. You previous post said 6 connected to one channel.
a2212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 11:50pm
Sorry my mistake.
So Shall I keep them as they are or shall i split them? Please help :-)

Edited by a2212 - 20 March 2018 at 11:52pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 11:55pm
3 on each channel is abit of an odd number. Parallel will probably stress the amp but series and you'll loss power. Maybe 4 channel amp?
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 1:02am
Not what I’d call a budget solution, but for the ultimate in control, this would do nicely and be dead simple to wire up, 1 speaker per channel!!!!

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=MON244300
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 8:51am
What sort of noise when turning it up or down? A crackle?

If so its probably a dirty volume pot and its easy to clean them with some contact cleaner.

Easier than getting a new amp.
a2212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 8:34pm
Thank you for all your help. I'll try to clean it then :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>