Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What can keep up with the X1?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What can keep up with the X1?
    Posted: 09 October 2004 at 12:52am

Will this work?

I have 4 scoop bins (original 15" JBL with 2225 loaded) with 4 big JBL 2" Horns (2446 + 2390 slant plate) with 8 slot tweeters.

Under each bin I would like to put a X1. So the X1 playing 30 to 60hz and the scoops taking it from 60. Do the scoops keep up? Will the X1 keep up? Any advice is welcom!

Greetings

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 1:58pm

Hi.

It depends on the type of music you are playing through your system.

Its one of the reasons why Dub, always sounds good on Scoops, and, garbage, on Techno. Most systems are designed to offer the best possible sound, with a particular style of music.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 7:15pm

I do not think that scoops are good for upper bass range (I am using them crossovered NEVER higher than 120Hz) I am recommending to you to build some HD15-s and put them above your scoops  (but phase cancellations become problematic but somewhat can be fixed up with good LMS)

Enjoy,

Stipe

volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 10:29pm

I like the sound of my scoops!! I use them up to 800 Hz and they sound nice. The reason I want to put the X1 under them is that I want to play louder with them (as they don't have to play under 60 or 80Hz anymore) and I would like some extra sub low (now I low cut the bins at 40 Hz, response of the bins are is -6 dB @ 45 Hz). I have no problems at all with the sound of the upper bass. I just dont know about maximum sound pressure levels of the two bins (btw, I'm going to use the void driver)

cheers

volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 10:33pm
O yeah, we play dancehall, rub-a-dub, but also merengue, soukous, and also elektro, d&b, so, .... a bit of everything
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 2:32am

Originally posted by volcano volcano wrote:

O yeah, we play dancehall, rub-a-dub, but also merengue, soukous, and also elektro, d&b, so, .... a bit of everything

The reason I want to put the X1 under them is that I want to play louder with them (as they don't have to play under 60 or 80Hz anymore) and I would like some extra sub low (now I low cut the bins at 40 Hz, response of the bins are is -6 dB @ 45 Hz). I have no problems at all with the sound of the upper bass. I just dont know about maximum sound pressure levels of the two bins (btw, I'm going to use the void driver)

cheers

You will definitely need the X 1 under those conditions. I see where you are heading with this setup.

You may need to use your own judgement on this. If you need more extension, just add more X 1s. It really depends how much more extended bass you feel is necessary.

There were a few Dancehall Systems in the states that used to use Six 18 inch Scoops with two Double 18's.

Sounded far superior compared to operating Eight 18" Scoops.

It will work.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 9:52pm
I think that one X1 to one 15" scoop will be more than enough. Those scoops don't have a very high SPL 1W/1m. Of course they can be used up to 800Hz, just like any 15" + HF box uses the 15" speaker. It's direct radiating above 150Hz..... and so the whole cab has only the effiency of a direct radiating top.... no prob for the X1.
 Post Reply Post Reply