Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What do you guys think of Skytec & RCL speakers?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you guys think of Skytec & RCL speakers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Beware,Scammer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MunkeyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 2:54am
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

I might be just me but I like Skytronic (NOT Skytech) drivers.

I'm guilty of using more than a few Skytec drivers in budget builds too. 8" driver with a magnet almost as wide as the cutout diameter and a 3.5" VC for 25 quid is hard to beat. Keep the passband narrow and I've found they behave rather well in a midbass front loaded horn.

Quite fun telling people that they're loaded with Beymas  and then after all the mostly positive comments, dropping the bomb...

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 3:01am
I said Skytronic not Skytech, but they could be the same... say it isn't so...
MunkeyQ View Drop Down

Beware,Scammer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MunkeyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 3:07am
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

I said Skytronic not Skytech, but they could be the same... say it isn't so...

I meant Skytronic too in my post, don't know why I put Skytec...should be sleeping!

Pretty sure that they're both the same though, along with QTX and Citronic. RIP Melksham Citronic. Cry
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 3:10am
I've heard Soundlab speakers. They are shit. But I have used many of the Skytronic SKT902 6.5 and 8" drivers and they rock. I've had bare drivers drop 8ft abnd still work. I push their excursion to 1.5cm they love it.
richard stringer View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by soulray2 soulray2 wrote:

But Rich, for the money your mate has spent on this pile of poo, (what are we talking £1500 or there abouts?), he could have had himself an honest, decent set up by buying decent gear 2nd hand!
The bargains to be had, by buying older gear, that's no longer the height of fashion, or gear that may need a wee bit of repair, are nothing short of astounding! My 1st  small rig of tops & bins was ye olde Carlsbro stuff, that felt like it was made out of railway sleepers weight-wise, but sounded good & honest! And for what, £250?
I've still got it somewhere & it still works, just can't carry it without a forklift. And my current favourite mid-tops cost me all of a £100 and a 300mile round trip to Aberdeen!

It's not that your mate can only afford Skytec rubbish that will ruin his & other folks hearing, it's that he's wasting his money buying new crap that will only end up in the skip, when he could have good honest, but older gear for the same or less money!Wink

Yeah I know, i've told him, but hey, he's told me he doesn't want a pair of speakers that rock, he wants an impressive looking stack.
Ermm

I wouldn't wanna offend the lad but everytime he tells me that, I feel like saying "jeez man, that's just f**king stupid, use your brains". I mean lads wanna come and hear the sound banging, his Skytec and RCL rig may look bigger than mine, but as soon as you turn both systems on i'll bet him £2,000 that 99% of lads wanna stand next to my JBL rig and not his Skytec and RCL rig. I take the piss out of him, having a laugh, calling his systm his kiddies disco system.

LOL

mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 4:02pm
Some peolple like to learn the hard way. Personaly, I'd prefer a small stack, very small, what packs a punch. it's way more impressive and easily transported.

Our local night club has just had a refurb and the VIP room has had a sound system fitted. It's easy over 200 capacity (vip room) with 2 tops 2 subs, thats it and it's nice. The bass goes all the way down. It's like deep throat over a lil kiss on the tip. It's funny how every one is getting drawn to this room over the main room what has a medium sized stack thats had extra subs added, shit loads of room fill. The main room is loud, very loud but there is no character to the bass, you can tell its bass but all the bass is just that, bass. In the lil room the bass comes at you at different tonel qualities (not sure of terms).

Now we have the difference normal people can notice the difference.  People are now like, Ahhh so this is what it's ment to sound like. All those bass dips come to life and it sounds amazing. It's bad for the venue as you can now clearly hear how bad the main room sounds.

I've bought some poo in my life what peolple on here would slate me for but I always got it mega cheap. We used to run 3 udh peavey bins with 2 hisys 2's sat on the top. Although the middle udh was empty as we took all the drivers out to replace the ones blown in the other 2. The room was about the size of a lounge and dinner terrace knock through.
richard stringer View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 8:43pm
I hear 4 EV Phoenix PX2122 mid/highs and 4 EV Phoenix PX2181 subs is a beast of a system. I'd class that as a reasonably small system, maybe some day i'll win the national lottery (I can dream LOL) then I reeeaaally blast my mate's system to sh*t, see what he thinks of his shite RCL and Skytec system then.

Tongue
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 10:17pm
Skytronic = Skytec
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 10:43pm
Skytronic is the distributor for skytec & Citronic
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
neilpoints View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 11:00pm
I got some 60W, 95dB sens, 5" mid drivers from Rapid, and they're OK for a fiver each for my monitors.

Otherwise, load of rubbish.
former Eurovision contestant
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 12:14am
I still stand by my statement that the SKT902s are great :D
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 12:05pm
Not everything cheap is crap!

99.9999% of the time it is tho. Has anyone else on here heard the soundlab active 12" cant remember what model number it is. Ok it doesnt sound like Opus but for £95-£100 trade its a stonking little box for dry hire's and stuff.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>