Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What drivers to load in empty JBL SR4731X boxes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What drivers to load in empty JBL SR4731X boxes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacktheripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What drivers to load in empty JBL SR4731X boxes
    Posted: 31 October 2017 at 5:40pm
I have a couple of JBL SR4731x empty cabinets and was wonder what drivers would sound good in there, the crossovers are still in the boxes and so are the horn flares but the guy I bought them off got rid of the 2206 drivers quite a while back so I got the boxes quite cheap. I don't fancy finding new 2206 drivers because they're around £400 each.

Edited by jacktheripper - 31 October 2017 at 5:41pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 5:52pm
You can always buy used 2206 drivers on Ebay. You can toss any twelve in the cabinet that offer similar TS Parameters as the 2206 drivers if you rather not buying used 2206 drivers.

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 31 October 2017 at 5:52pm
Elliot Thompson
jacktheripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacktheripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 6:09pm
Thanks how similar do they need to be? I've had a look at RCF, B&C, Celestion and BMS and can't find any that match TS parameters. The JBL 2206 TS parameters are here :

THIELE/SMALL PARAMETERS
fs: 52 Hz
Re: 5.3 ohms (H), 10.0 (J)
Qts: 0.32
Qes: 0.34
Vas : 62 l(2.2 ft
SD: 0.055 m
Xmax: 7.5 mm (0.30 in)
VD: 413 cm
Le : 1.5 mH (H), 3.0 (J)
Pe (Max) : 600 W continuous pink noise

I'd rather stick new drivers in so I know they've not been thrashed because a lot of used drivers have been driven hard.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 6:18pm
It would be best to keep the TS Parameters as close as possible. You may want to explore Beyma, Faital Pro or, Eminence. You can sacrifice the xmax if you are planning to solely use those bins for tops. Xmax is never calculated in the TS Parameters.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 31 October 2017 at 6:23pm
Elliot Thompson
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 6:27pm
Is is H or J?
Qts is important for enclosure but if you want to match crossover keep voice coil winding deepth and gap height similar. And vc diameter.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Is is H or J?
Qts is important for enclosure but if you want to match crossover keep voice coil winding deepth and gap height similar. And vc diameter.

That does not determine the calculated TS Parameters. What you are referring to is primarily xmax. The size of the voice coil co-relates to bass not mid - high frequencies.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 6:46pm
Qts should determine qes and qms.
And voice coil gap, winding deepth and diameter should determine similar inductance characteristics when used in speaker with same technologies. This should also keep mms close
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Qts should determine qes and qms.
And voice coil gap, winding deepth and diameter should determine similar inductance characteristics when used in speaker with same technologies. This should also keep mms close

The size of the voice coil in addition to the voice coil gap does not play a factor under the given circumstances. You are mistaking voice winding co-relates to winding depth where it does not. This is why xmax is scattered about from brand to brand despite having drivers offering similar Q's. 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacktheripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 7:17pm
I found a Beyma driver here : 
https://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=12P80Fe/V2

Does that look close enough to the JBL 2206 thiele small parameters? 

Or another one is this one :
https://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=12P80Nd/V2

Or RCF and B&C drivers :
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=RCFMB12N301&browsemode=manufacturer

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BAC12NW76&browsemode=manufacturer

Edited by jacktheripper - 31 October 2017 at 7:26pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

You are mistaking voice winding co-relates to winding depth where it does not. 

?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacktheripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 7:50pm
I think i've found a winner a few specs are quite close apart from the QMS, it's a Faital Pro :

www.faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=151050110

Edited by jacktheripper - 31 October 2017 at 7:51pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 7:56pm
..while you two were debating voice coils the OP found what he was looking for....

...i love this place

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>