Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What effect will High Le have in HD15??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What effect will High Le have in HD15??
    Posted: 21 March 2013 at 10:21pm
I found a driver that sims really well in HD15

Dayton PA380-8
Pe 500
db 98.5
Fs 28.3
xmax 5
qts .24
qms 9.99
qes .23
vas 250.5
bl 23.44
sd 845
re 5.8
but...
Le = 3.38 ????????

How does the high Inductance play a role in the HD15 system?

DiscernAudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:47pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 5:46pm
Higher Le will roll off your HF response due to attenuation of the amplified signal by the driver voicecoil. Your Le figure is 3.38mH, it is related to the geometry and design of a driver voicecoil (diameter, number of windings, former material, etc)

Some Volt HiFi drivers I have been playing with recently I measured at 0.8mH and I cross them over to a compression driver at 2.5KHz. The Eminence Delta 15A is intended for bass/mid application and has a similar Le figure. I wouldn't put one into a bass bin and expect good results. The Delta 15LF version has an Le of ~1.5mH and is better suited for bass work.

In summary larger Le means a driver that will not play as high, whether this is a problem depends on your application and design. Why don't you try simulating different values of it in HR with the same design and check the simulated difference.
DiscernAudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Higher Le will roll off your HF response due to attenuation of the amplified signal by the driver voicecoil. Your Le figure is 3.38mH, it is related to the geometry and design of a driver voicecoil (diameter, number of windings, former material, etc)

Some Volt HiFi drivers I have been playing with recently I measured at 0.8mH and I cross them over to a compression driver at 2.5KHz. The Eminence Delta 15A is intended for bass/mid application and has a similar Le figure. I wouldn't put one into a bass bin and expect good results. The Delta 15LF version has an Le of ~1.5mH and is better suited for bass work.

In summary larger Le means a driver that will not play as high, whether this is a problem depends on your application and design.
Why don't you try simulating different values of it in HR with the same design and check the simulated difference.

Thanks, great suggestion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply