Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound thera
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound thera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 6:46pm
in this circumstance i would stick with the Onkyo amp and use passive speakers - to use active, you will need some kind of mixer to easily control level / volume, and to get one as quiet as the pre-amp stage in the Onkyo you will need to spend a bit of money.

There are a plethora of options available -lower end, small hifi speakers are generally tuned to sound "nice" with a small bump in the LF and HF response so i would stick with something studio related, or a hifi box made from a studio speaker supplier.

If your budget would run to it, something from ATC ( SCM7 would be perfect) or one of PMC's smaller options would be perfect.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
edboom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:41pm
Consider the effect the room will have on the freq. response. Wouldn't it make more difference than the type of speaker? I'm sure that eq will have to be applied to make the speaker/room combo flat, so is it totally critical that the speaker be flat? 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:09pm
Tannoy reveals can be had for peanuts on ebay and gumtree. 

Whats the material being played?
quick_frog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick_frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

in this circumstance i would stick with the Onkyo amp and use passive speakers - to use active, you will need some kind of mixer to easily control level / volume, and to get one as quiet as the pre-amp stage in the Onkyo you will need to spend a bit of money.

There are a plethora of options available -lower end, small hifi speakers are generally tuned to sound "nice" with a small bump in the LF and HF response so i would stick with something studio related, or a hifi box made from a studio speaker supplier.

If your budget would run to it, something from ATC ( SCM7 would be perfect) or one of PMC's smaller options would be perfect.

Thanks.

Originally posted by edboom edboom wrote:

Consider the effect the room will have on the freq. response. Wouldn't it make more difference than the type of speaker? I'm sure that eq will have to be applied to make the speaker/room combo flat, so is it totally critical that the speaker be flat?

Thanks, yes, the room might have a bigger impact, but I still aim for the flat frequency response of the speaker.

Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Tannoy reveals can be had for peanuts on ebay and gumtree.

Whats the material being played?

The sound of sea waves or akin to that.

Edited by quick_frog - 14 June 2018 at 9:09am
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:58am
Unless the source material is EQ’d to suit the system, I can’t see how any adjustments can be made with a hifi amp and a pair of passive monitors...
quick_frog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick_frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Unless the source material is EQ’d to suit the system, I can’t see how any adjustments can be made with a hifi amp and a pair of passive monitors...

The source material will be EQ’d.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:17pm
in that case, choose any half respectable speakers, as you’ll be correcting speaker and room response peaks and troughs anyway...
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by quick_frog quick_frog wrote:

The sound level will be similar to the background noise which is traffic noise through a window, and it will be raised slowly about 34 decibels from there.

So what is the background level that you are going to start from in DB
and what sort of distance are you likely to be from the speakers?
 To keep within the output of the amplifier you have chosen the background level would need to be less than about 0.02 watts to achieve the 34db increase
1 watt + 34db = 2512 watts...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12