Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have you done to your soundsystem today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 55565758>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Does this solve a problem you are having, or have had?

In the early 1990's, when I wasn't aware of the importance of large gauge power cables, and short cable runs, the voltage regulator maintained a constant 120 volts when I encountered a lot of voltage drops. As the signal processors always bears the brunt of the amplifiers pulling current on demand, the voltage regulator would increase the voltage so, the processors would always receive 120 volts.

No matter how much wattage a person may brag about having at their disposal, if they are not focusing on the proper gauge cables to maintain the lowest percentage of voltage drop, they are stifling the performance their sound system can provide. A lot of sound men tend to focus on large gauge loudspeaker cables and disregard their power cables.

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

make sure you plug it in with gold plated mains plugs and only use audiophile grade cable in your system, or you won't hear any difference! 

LOL
Elliot Thompson
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 11:10pm
So in what situation would you use this device Now?
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

So in what situation would you use this device Now?

It offers an Isolation Transformer so, it is still useful to reduce ground loops which, is very common in the States.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 12 March 2021 at 11:22pm
Elliot Thompson
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2021 at 9:27am
The US supply at 120v seems somewhat archaic and really outdated.

When I first came down here, a few (isolated) villages still had old 110v supplies - which meant taking Phase-Phase lines to get 230v for the system.

That, thankfully has now changed and everyone has a proper 230v supply these days. But, I guess that would be far to expensive & complicated to do now in the US!!  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2021 at 2:53pm
We did our first "proper" gig exactly a year to the day after doing the same festival on the day before lockdown last year.... Super happy to be out setting up again and to top it off we had Public Opinion Afro Orch on the stage who were amazing....

Even the torrential rain couldn't dampen the crowd or bands... Top day..

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

The US supply at 120v seems somewhat archaic and really outdated.

When I first came down here, a few (isolated) villages still had old 110v supplies - which meant taking Phase-Phase lines to get 230v for the system.

That, thankfully has now changed and everyone has a proper 230v supply these days. But, I guess that would be far to expensive & complicated to do now in the US!!  LOL

Considering the majority of household appliances operate solely on 120 volts, I would imagine it is cheaper to keep the infrastructure as is and, repair any issues than, upgrade the whole electrical system.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2021 at 10:32am
Yes - it would cost far too much to change the system now. Blame Mr. Tesla!!   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 5:10pm
Nikola is definitely not the fault here.

Picked up an 0 – 250 A.C. Milli-volt Meter in addition to, a 100 Milli-volt to 200 volt A.C. Meter

These units will allow me to monitor voltage leakage between the Neutral & Ground. At the moment, the Analogue meter registers 50 Milli-volts from 124-volts to 128-volts per leg.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2021 at 12:13pm

Picked up an Behringer DX 1000 for a very low price to use as Traktor's primary mixer. The other mixers I have lying around offer a gradual roll-off @ 20 kHz which, can be heard in the Tweeters once, inserted in the chain, within the 12 kHz on up range.

The graph below shows the roll-off curvature does not come into play until 60 kHz which, far exceeds the standard 96 kHz sample rate I use for Traktor.

On the low end of the spectrum, the -3dB point is 6 Hz . This is common with most older Analogue DJ Mixers on the market.

If the sound of the DX 1000 is not noticeable once inserted in the chain, I will buy a case for it. If it is noticeable, it will be used for Samplitude. Either way, the price was too low to pass up.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2021 at 8:08pm
today I did a quote for a sound system, which involved trying to remember what I would need to make a live gig happen. God its been a long time! Next challenge, how do you mix a band again?

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2021 at 5:49pm
I just ordered the K30 Amplifier.

I bought it solely for low mids. However, once it arrives, I will put it on the bench and, post the measured wattage using a sinusoidal wave ranging from 100 Hz - 5 Hz. Once it arrives of course!

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 24 April 2021 at 5:50pm
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 55565758>