Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Is The Best Filler?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _banksy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Is The Best Filler?
    Posted: 14 March 2010 at 2:56pm
Hey all,

I am building a pair of 186 Horns and due to some warped plywood some gaps need filling!!

Now I understand these Horns shall be exposed to extreme vibrations! So whats the best filler to use? I have made one mix of fine Plywood shavings mixed with wood glue into a thick paste but maybe there is a better option out there? I intend to paint over the filler with Tuff cab paint.

Any input appreciated, cheers. Will
BreakBeat!
Ryan94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 3:01pm
i just use normal wood filler and it seems to work fine. but Ive herd that car body filler is ment to be good. i did try the shavings and glue idea once but took ages to sand down so never used it again.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 3:27pm
yeah most on here use car body filler. isopon p38 is one, i used that for a while.. there's cheaper ones.. u-pol or something i think is cheaper, and i haven't noticed a difference.

i'm thinking of trying to add some pigment to filler to make it black or at least darker. it can take quite a few coats of paint to disguise it.
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 12:16am
Good thread, got a question about it as well.
More about filling paste in a cabinet but should match the topic.

In wich way the "structure" of the filler effects the audio-signal in the cabinet!?
It's better/necessary to haul the material after hardened?

Ask because got exvibration (glassfiber/bitumen-stuff) left from my last car-audio-constructions and when a rough surface (thats what ya got after drying)is no problem for the "air-flow" than it should be ideal to seal up the birch-ply-carbinet.

What do ya think!? thanks in advance...

Edited by Pirlo - 15 March 2010 at 12:18am
_banksy_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _banksy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 5:03pm
I used U-Pol EasyLite, its the same as isopol but a bit cheaper. its fantastic! creates a really strong joint
BreakBeat!
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 6:50pm
imo big gaps need filling with a thin piece of ply cut to slide into the gap and glued.  p38/p40 wont be great on joins because it wont actually bond the wood together.  sawdust/pva will work as well.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
_banksy_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _banksy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 7:21pm
Yeah its obviously not for joining the wood, just filling the small gap on the outside edges of angled joints, the woodglue / shavings is what i use for any large gaps.

BreakBeat!
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 9:12pm
Love the search function on this site, sooooo much useful info at your finger tips.

I had a crowd barrier take some pretty nasty chunks out of my psychos a month ago and i want to make them look like new again before the next time i take them out.

By the looks of it isopon 38 seems like a popular choice. Where is the best place to buy it cheaply from online?

Bryan
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 9:40pm
dunno online. i buy it from car places (motor factors).
_banksy_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _banksy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 7:58pm
Halfords its cheap enough, u-pol easylite is cheaper and does the exact same thing
BreakBeat!
 Post Reply Post Reply