Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what is the story with patents and hiring speakers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what is the story with patents and hiring speakers

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 14 June 2011
Location: Middlesex
Status: Offline
Points: 4417
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2015 at 11:50pm
if its an active patent then no,
 
if its a patent that has expired, then I cant see any harm.
 
@moyano the usb shares some similarities but no its not an f218 copy... true there are a lot of clone copy cabs out there, is this right...
in some cases I cant see a problem like discontinued designs were the patent has now expired...
But defo its not right to copy production cabs or cabs covered by a patent in date.
https://www.elements-audio.com
Back to Top
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 11 October 2004
Location: Lancaster
Status: Offline
Points: 2368
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 12:30pm
Ask them,  Patents should not really be there to stop others from doing things, certainly if there not in competition with the patent holder, there there to stop people ripping off ideas and profiting from others research without paying there dues.  If you ask and offer a small sum they might be quite open, and respectful of the fact you asked rather than just did it anyway.  
  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
Back to Top
S&P View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 01 March 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 216
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2015 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Abe The Babe Abe The Babe wrote:

Over the last while I've seen a few patented speaker inventions that I'd like to incorporate into my own speakers. They aren't for sale but I'd like to know where I'd stand with modifying speakers for installs and the speakers I hire out.
 
There's no ambiguity here.  You would be 100% in the wrong, legally, morally and by what ever other measure, unless you get authorisation from the current patent holder.  What you're asking is would I get away with it?  I guess you probably would whilst you're mot manufacturing them, but personally I would hope the patent holder found out and came after you.  It would be IP theft, plain and simple.  And theft is theft in my book regardless of whether you nick my telly or nick my patent (and I hold a few by the way). 
Sounds and Pressure Lo Fi Sound - Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae
http://www.facebook.com/events/412323448834558/432237103509859/?comment_id=432362186830684¬if_t=event_mall_reply#!/groups/75371249167/
Back to Top
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 13 November 2009
Location: East Midlands
Status: Offline
Points: 1990
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 6:03pm
^Pah!

Go for it dude, it sounds like its not for production anyway and not going to effect the patent holder with loss of sales.
Back to Top
Abe The Babe View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User
Avatar

Joined: 16 September 2011
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 329
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 6:22pm
I think the general consensus is to ask the patent holders. Seems fair. Like GEB says it's not going to effect the patent holders with loss of sales especially considering they don't make anything for my purposes. So hopefully it's not an issue if I ever do decide to do it.
There's a time and place for acoustical reflection.
Back to Top
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 20 January 2011
Location: Hampshire
Status: Offline
Points: 1658
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 9:36pm
As long as your not manufacturing and selling the cabinets, merely modifying your own speakers for your own use i do not see there being a huge issue there myself?


www.facebook.com/Requiem.Party.Crew

www.facebook.com/groups/Requiem.Soundsystem

www.soundcloud.com/requiem-soundsystem

Turbosound Aspect TA500 / Void / MC2 & XTA Soundsystem
Back to Top
gorgo View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User
Avatar

Joined: 07 October 2015
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by S&P S&P wrote:

Originally posted by Abe The Babe Abe The Babe wrote:

Over the last while I've seen a few patented speaker inventions that I'd like to incorporate into my own speakers. They aren't for sale but I'd like to know where I'd stand with modifying speakers for installs and the speakers I hire out.
 
There's no ambiguity here.  You would be 100% in the wrong, legally, morally and by what ever other measure, unless you get authorisation from the current patent holder.  What you're asking is would I get away with it?  I guess you probably would whilst you're mot manufacturing them, but personally I would hope the patent holder found out and came after you.  It would be IP theft, plain and simple.  And theft is theft in my book regardless of whether you nick my telly or nick my patent (and I hold a few by the way). 

A great deal of the things we use, phones, laptops, dsp, speakers etc are made in China via hacked plans, some of these are blatant copyright infringements, the Chinese don't give a dam and the end users don't seem to have any moral problems,  so if you are using this to upgrade you're own speakers I see no moral issue whatsoever,  go for it.
Back to Top
S&P View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 01 March 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 216
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 8:11am
Originally posted by gorgo gorgo wrote:

Originally posted by S&P S&P wrote:

Originally posted by Abe The Babe Abe The Babe wrote:

Over the last while I've seen a few patented speaker inventions that I'd like to incorporate into my own speakers. They aren't for sale but I'd like to know where I'd stand with modifying speakers for installs and the speakers I hire out.
 
There's no ambiguity here.  You would be 100% in the wrong, legally, morally and by what ever other measure, unless you get authorisation from the current patent holder.  What you're asking is would I get away with it?  I guess you probably would whilst you're mot manufacturing them, but personally I would hope the patent holder found out and came after you.  It would be IP theft, plain and simple.  And theft is theft in my book regardless of whether you nick my telly or nick my patent (and I hold a few by the way). 

A great deal of the things we use, phones, laptops, dsp, speakers etc are made in China via hacked plans, some of these are blatant copyright infringements, the Chinese don't give a dam and the end users don't seem to have any moral problems,  so if you are using this to upgrade you're own speakers I see no moral issue whatsoever,  go for it.
 
The words of someone who has never paid for or owned a patent presumably.  Of course there is a moral issue!!!  That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  If you take something that doesn't belong to you and that you have no right to use, it's theft.  It's a pretty simple concept and someone who knowingly does it is a thief as clear as day.  So what if the end user doesn't care or other people do it?  It doesn't justify theft in the first place.  Just because shoplifting is rife and people buy snide gear from markets doesn't make it OK to steal from shops does it?  Yours seems to be yet another example of the 'don't give a sh*t unless it's on my doorstep' and 'I can do what I want, regardless of what the law is crystal clear on' attitude that's prevalent nowadays.
Sounds and Pressure Lo Fi Sound - Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae
http://www.facebook.com/events/412323448834558/432237103509859/?comment_id=432362186830684¬if_t=event_mall_reply#!/groups/75371249167/
Back to Top
gorgo View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User
Avatar

Joined: 07 October 2015
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 8:27am
wow, dumb, yes it is as you say, however the point I was making is, no one seems to care anymore, phones are the biggest breach of copyright at the moment via the Chinese manufacturers,  there are millions being used and no one has a moral issue using them, no I do not have any patents, however I do have four registered designs to my name, I chose personal design registration over patent to avoid them being freely looked at and copied,  the patent system is floored in my oppinion but that is another story, the audio market is full of people back engineering other peoples property and re badging it, cdj's and t1200s instantly come to mind, just because our oppinions differ I see no reason for personal insults
Back to Top
S&P View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 01 March 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 216
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 8:47am
Originally posted by gorgo gorgo wrote:

wow, dumb, yes it is as you say, however the point I was making is, no one seems to care anymore, phones are the biggest breach of copyright at the moment via the Chinese manufacturers,  there are millions being used and no one has a moral issue using them, no I do not have any patents, however I do have four registered designs to my name, I chose personal design registration over patent to avoid them being freely looked at and copied,  the patent system is floored in my oppinion but that is another story, the audio market is full of people back engineering other peoples property and re badging it, cdj's and t1200s instantly come to mind, just because our oppinions differ I see no reason for personal insults

 

OK.  Let’s explore this.  The essence of your justification for thinking it’s morally ok to take someone else’s property is that patent law is weak and apparently unenforceable in some regions.  If the law were stronger, is it suddenly not morally OK?  Moral behaviour is nothing to do with the law; it’s about what is right and what is wrong.  And taking something that doesn’t belong to you is wrong.

Sounds and Pressure Lo Fi Sound - Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae
http://www.facebook.com/events/412323448834558/432237103509859/?comment_id=432362186830684¬if_t=event_mall_reply#!/groups/75371249167/
Back to Top
gorgo View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User
Avatar

Joined: 07 October 2015
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 9:01am
I did not say it was morally ok, infact I agreed it was how you said, what I said was no one seems to care anymore, but it seems all you want to do is fight and throw insults and innuendo at me, many on this thread have said just do it, all I see is you standing on your soap box calling me dumb and saying I am whats wrong with society,  lol, I find it difficult to have a balanced and intelligent conversation with morally perfect soap box preachers who conveniently forget those morals when they want to insult people, however im sure there are many religious groups who would welcome your talents for preaching all things moral, have a good day.
Back to Top
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 13 November 2009
Location: East Midlands
Status: Offline
Points: 1990
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 9:23am
Originally posted by gorgo gorgo wrote:

I did not say it was morally ok, infact I agreed it was how you said, what I said was no one seems to care anymore, but it seems all you want to do is fight and throw insults and innuendo at me, many on this thread have said just do it, all I see is you standing on your soap box calling me dumb and saying I am whats wrong with society,  lol, I find it difficult to have a balanced and intelligent conversation with morally perfect soap box preachers who conveniently forget those morals when they want to insult people, however im sure there are many religious groups who would welcome your talents for preaching all things moral, have a good day.


Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.