Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WHAT IS THE TURBOSOUND SECRET?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atisimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHAT IS THE TURBOSOUND SECRET?
    Posted: 03 March 2009 at 12:37am
I thought longer the horn is lower the frequency will be and further will throw with efficient high SPL.
This applies for most folded horn designs.
Therefore 186 horn plan or WSX with over 1.8 meter folded horn length would be over all better bin than HD15 or USB bins.

Reading some outstanding good comments on Turbosound bass bin's (TSE118 , TSW124 and TSW721).
TSW folding technique is very close to single USB bin, it's a bandpass short folded horn with compression chamber on front of the transducer.

All TSW are short horns what is the secret of extremely high SPL? How they achieve "long throw" on outdoor concerts?
Special large driver with the compression chamber on front makes a magic?

If the TSW 721, TSW124 are so successful designs why are they discontinued and today Turbo is only offering the double TSW218?
cnics View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 1:06am
They will still make the 718 for you.

There is no such thing as THROW.

Louder at the back means louder at the front.  It is the measurement reference point that is inaccurate due to the sound being emitted over a larger surface area than that of a direct radiating box.

The horn design is efficient too so louder still. It doesn't throw.

Many people disagree, but it is physics.  Horns are often more useful for these applications.
Rob Beech - Technical Director - Cnics Audio
atisimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atisimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 1:41am
Thank you for your suggestion "cnics".
If I would like to buy originals I would be discussing this directly with Turbosound sales department.
Since this is a hobby for most us, this is the place to discuss and share plans.

Would you have plan to share, from reliable source for any TSW bins?

As for the "THROW" I meant 8 meters or more from a bass bin you still feel a pounding bass on you chest.
Some designs are unable to preform on distance.
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 2:02am
one of the defining dfferences between the diy plans available, es18, usb for this type of bph is that they dont have turbosounds oem driver, the above two will both give similar results from drivers available direct from the manufacturers.

afaik their are no plans around for the tsw.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
Spuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 2:09am
Without realising it you probably answered your own question.  It's all down to, as you say, a "short folded horn with compression chamber on front of the transducer".  As in what eventually became known as the "W"bin from the 1970's, examples being from the Electrovoice Eliminator down to the Roger Squires 'Eliminator'. 
The secret , if there is any, is down to very high power (1kw or more) speaker drivers designed specifically for that type of loading (rather than in large sealed or reflex enclosures), and the very high quality of cabinet construction.  It's the high SPL (probably only increased by 2 to 3dB max) that gives the impression of 'long throw'.

In reality the sound is being concentrated by these (actually relatively inefficient) horns into the audience area, rather than just being dispersed into the surrounding area.  Thus the sound at the back will be louder than it would otherwise have been - you're just simply hearing more of what it's putting out!  (And it should be a lot quieter around the sides and back of the spkrs!).
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 2:19am
Originally posted by atisimi atisimi wrote:

If I would like to buy originals I would be discussing this directly with Turbosound sales department. 

Yes, I have plans for all the Turbosound TSW models.

The cost for each plan is exactly the same as each models full retail price when they were in production.

I will PM you with my paypal details.

Twat.
Spuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 2:25am
Personally,  at 8 meters or more from a bass bin I would Never want to feel a pounding bass on my chest! (At 1 meter maybe!).  But  I also want to HEAR that bass!  And I want it to be in proportion to the upper bass / midrange / treble / upper treble!! 
That's what designing a good sound system is all about - covering the entire audio spectrum to cover a large area that sounds exactly the same whichever part of that area you are in, and without distortion of any kind including phase distortion as you walk around that area!
Spuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 2:33am
Some overlapping of comments in here.  Sorry.  Doing other things as well here and should have hit Refresh when I returned to the computer.
justamadman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

Originally posted by atisimi atisimi wrote:

Yes, I have plans for all the Turbosound TSW models.

The cost for each plan is exactly the same as each models full retail price when they were in production.

I will PM you with my paypal details.

Twat.

I think that was bit uncalled for really.

in front of the bass bins baby
atisimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atisimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 3:09am

Justamadman I agree with you.
Some people just can't treat everyone like they want be treated.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 3:16am
you won't find the turbo plans here. you will find good plans, submitted by their designers. look for USB and ES18BPH plans if you want good 18" bandpass horns.
Bespoke View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bespoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 3:38am

Dont know why people are sooo Angry on this forum.... He only asked and it goes on all the time weather it be on the forum pages or via PM - Everybody is after everybodies desgin and it will always be that way. Custom drivers helps to stop this but i could go out by any ''pro cabinet'' take it apart and learn from it, you just cant stop it 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>