Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this HF horn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2022 at 8:43pm
and cheers everyone for the advise and coments.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2022 at 10:35am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Video of a pair playing, with the 2440 driver, and an additional 2405 slot tweeter. (usually above 6.5khz.) 
Bass is 2220 driver in 4560 cabinet. 

Recorder with a Sure SM58!!??? Jesus. No wonder it sounds lifeless.

Edited by MarjanM - 24 July 2022 at 10:37am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2022 at 12:21pm
Im not actually sure where the best listening position is for these. tbf
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 5:23pm
These were often seen on touring rigs in the 70's and Robbo has pointed out the ergonomic disadvantages. But with very wide coverage from a single horn they were useful for covering the front rows of the audience. The usual 90 degree radial horns would be a bit higher up the stack, covering the rest of the room.

Vertical coverage is whatever you get from the horn that feeds the lens.

It's quite funny how (nearly) everyone thought they directed sound downwards, due to the shape. I used to wind people up by telling them they would work just as well if turned upside down. Most of them thought I was talking out of my posterior, well I often was but not on that subject...

Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 7:32pm
Wasnt there a popular PA speaker sold through Tandys in the late 80s that used a similar HF? Jamo or Genexxa maybe?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2022 at 8:16am
The idea ended up being copied by almost anyone in the 1980's, here as Pioneer rear-shelf car speakers. LOL

Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2022 at 8:20am
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

It's quite funny how (nearly) everyone thought they directed sound downwards, due to the shape. I used to wind people up by telling them they would work just as well if turned upside down. 

That is correct.
There is a photo of the Beatles using them 'upside down' on top of the 4520 2x15 scoop on their very last US tour, which was around 1967 if i recall. Will see if i can find it later.
Be seeing you.
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2022 at 8:59am
Used to use a pair regularly in early  2000s and used to love them. Seem to remember having Gauss CDs on them.

Edited by KDW32 - 26 July 2022 at 8:59am
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2022 at 1:38pm
GSA in nyc had a metal working shop fabricate new lens for his stacks and then sold off his IP to Pioneer, who tried their luck selling them before switching to more tour-friendly ideas. There is a club in Berlin with a bunch of them, but I have to say that despite any sort of friendly sound, the pattern control varied wildly when walking around the coverage of a single stack. They have cult appeal, but I wouldn't want to own such a rig
Feeeedback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feeeedback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 12:34pm
Didn’t ye  olde Dingwalls rig have 2 a side( RSE)..in a box with the sides covered?
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 7:00pm
Very likely.
The carpet-covered RSE system certainly used JBL lenses. But boxing them in at the sides messed up the acoustic performance, they were supposed to be open.

Feeeedback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feeeedback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 1:50pm
And yet,those drivers blasted away for years and nobody said a word…the drivers are still being used today but without the RSE processing of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>