Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what is you're favourite design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 12:42pm
Hogs have that meat under 40hz that i never heard a classic scoop do ,no matter the numbers. 
Even those 12 sinai scoops didnt do IT for me under 40hz. 
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Hogs have that meat under 40hz that i never heard a classic scoop do ,no matter the numbers. 
Even those 12 sinai scoops didnt do IT for me under 40hz. 

Think the Hog systems I have heard, were not setup right then, because they all seemed to be tuned high.

Even if I am playing with Scoops in stacks of 4x, I won't HPF lower than 38hz, as it allows me to put 1kw thru each cab, and not be concerned at all. And it inevitably sounds lower anyway.

Many crews don't know how to really tune and operate Scoop systems, giving Scoops a bad name.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:24pm
And it seems many crews dont know how to tune and operate hogs giving them a bad name hhehe, jokes.
Not trying to make this a hog vs classic scoop thing ,but thats a fact scoops just cant hit as hard as hogs under 40 hz, they play something but it aint as full and powerful.
Nothing wrong with that as scoops make up for it in the upper notes, I myself prefer hogs. If youre playing older reggae/dub i think theres no need to go lower than E1 41hz ever if at all.

Last scoop system i heard before lockdown was King Alpha with 6 scoops (not sure of the design,stravens?). Now he could really use hogs as theres lots and lots of sub 40hz information in his tunes, IMO the stack didnt deliver the goods down low.

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 5:01pm
True. HOG does play lower and it does it louder than traditional scoop because it is tuned lower (longer horn path and bigger mouth). What is the best enclosure then? Its up to requirements but overall I prefer hogs.
Even 4-6 horizonally stacked, properly driven hogs will make enormous power alley for a good amount of distance and also what matters is, sound quality is not bad at all. 

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 8:20am
Have to say, i have heard hogs just once, recently, outside. Polar bear scoops I have experienced many times, mostly inside, once outside. I find it hard to believe that the physically larger polar bear would NOT go as low as the hog. 
The Hogs(stack of four) were delivering, but probably high passed conservatively, with cutoff just under 40 hz according to spectroid on my samsung a50. Nice balanced system overall with usbs and some turbo/f1 midhigh section(memory failing Embarrassed)

Polar bears on the other hand do have authority, especially inside, and considering my mates run them on mere prolines.....
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 8:45am
Before lockdown, none of the top 5x UK Dub sounds used Hogs.

These are guys, who have pockets deep enough to buy Powersoft X8, X4L.

And regularly filled Scala in London, with sub  starting approx 35hz-38hz, most using 6-8x conventional Scoops.

Blanket statements like Conventional Scoops can't do lower than 40hz, are imbecilic, as different Scoops, with different drivers, driven with different outboard, pre-amp, power amps, and depending on engineer, can accomplish different things.

Edited by levyte357- - 22 July 2020 at 8:46am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 8:58am
Another thing to consider, the average punter, who goes to a dub gig, can't tell, if a stack of 4x Scoops is Hpf'd at 35hz or 45hz, if each Scoop is getting real 1kw.

These would be at least 90% of the crowd. 

So many crews who get high profile gigs, like Aba Shanti, Channel One, Jah Tubbys, may not be hugely strong in the 30-40hz, but uber strong down to 38hz, and go home with pocket full of cash, and no drivers blown, and crowd shook to bits, and very happy.

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 9:13am
Having spent some time listening to classic 70ies roots and dub, while looking at an rta, i conclude that <40hz  bass notes are rare but do occasionally happen, maybe in 1 out of 10 tunes. 80ies onwards more frequent. 

Bass drums are more likely to have strong sub 40 hz energy than actual bass guitar notes going there. 

But i have to concur with Lev, if your system is just 3-6 dB down 30-40, most people will not notice or care. 

Edited by bob4 - 22 July 2020 at 11:26am
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 7:33pm
A big pile of polars WILL do below 40hz, I know, I've measured it

But if you consider in Croatia I had another month on the road afterwards, I had my HPF set slightly higher than you'd think (just like Lev is suggesting), as they were getting paneled for hours every day, it preserves driver life. All the kind comments from hundreds of people, showed that most don't care if it doesn't play vaguely low

We had some hogs in the warehouse up until recently, and for reggae and dub they didn't sound "right" somehow. But for other genres such as jungle, they seemed to suit it better somehow. Bloody awful box to move about btw. 

In reggae and dub, there's not that many tunes that have stuff below 40hz (prophecy is NOT that low btw)

It's dubstep that'll do most of the crazy low notes, around 35hz-39hz

If I get bored when I'm back in Sheffield I'll measure 4 polar scoops with no HPF and see how low they play (even though I have the measurements from the guy that made them)

Also, in response to the original post, THIS is my favourite design
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 7:36pm
I'd like to hear some of these though...

Anyone game?

Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 7:51pm
Offcourse they Will ,no one said polars or any other scoop doesnt do anything below 40hz . Just there is some weight missing there that a hog can deliver.
Agree also that i was probably the only idiot there thinking wow those under 40 notes dont feel as heavy or whatever i was bickering about in my mindLOL.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Offcourse they Will ,no one said polars or any other scoop doesnt do anything below 40hz . Just there is some weight missing there that a hog can deliver.
Agree also that i was probably the only idiot there thinking wow those under 40 notes dont feel as heavy or whatever i was bickering about in my mindLOL.

Oh these can, I just chose to choose extending the life of my drivers for another month of hard punishment haha

My friend told me that the sub was shaking the ear plugs out of his ears....I'd say they were working. Especially compared the the clearing haha

I do know what you're saying about the hogs though, even if they drop vaguely lower (maybe) what the polar does above it, is waaaay more fun to my ears. Personal opinion and all that Star

Edited by Sinai Sound - 25 July 2020 at 8:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>