Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of power cable?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of power cable?
    Posted: 26 September 2020 at 10:52am
I've only taken my PA out one time for a festival in the desert. I damn near fried it as I hooked it up to the power source using some low quality power cables. The bass amps protection system kept kicking in and turning off the amp until the power guy came around and saw the weak cables I had used and changed them for someting better.

So, now I'm taking out the system again, I want to buy my own cables to hook it up with the power source. What kind of cable should I look for? I'm in China so naming certain brands might not be that useful. I've looked on Taobao and searched for "high-power power cables".

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.99.4236569ebUiHvm&id=556597942893&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.143.60423fc8lKkdbS&id=608717486548&ns=1&abbucket=10&skuId=4442249522331

What do I look for?
How long should the cable be? (For the next event there is 20m from the source to the stage. I was thinking of buying at least a 30m long cable. Would it be better to go for 50m?)

Total noob question, I know. Please forgive me LOL
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 11:11am
Use the shortest power cable that you can, observing using a safe cable route. Mechanical protection for temporary supplies is important, in Europe H07-RNF specification tough rubber cable is preferred, im sure locally there will be a similar standard, and it is certainly made in China for export.
Other than that, your cable conductor requirements will depend on your local supply voltage and the current requirements of your rig. Into this equation you also have to add the distance from source, so conductor cross sections will increase in size considerably as distances grow, due to the need to keep voltage drop and loop impedance within safe limits. Further complications include the power factor and dynamic requirements of your equipment.

I would strongly suggest consulting a local qualified electrician.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 1:29pm
good advice
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2020 at 4:06am
Thanks, CSG.

Talking to someone local is probably not a bad idea. I had hoped I could order something online, that would be bulletproof for any amplication.

China voltage is 220-240. The guy I bought the system from says best to have at least 2x16A power source.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2020 at 12:48pm
So as mentioned, the two critical things are CSA (cross sectional area) you should be looking at 2.5mm per conductor. If you’re looking at greater distances above 30m you should go for 4mm or more but you may then struggle to get the wires in the plugs. Secondly the durability of the cable is also critical for long runs like this. The get trapped in doors, driven over and such like. Stay away from blue “artic” cable as it breaks to easily and if you can find a good source, the specification mention previously is what to look for.
blah blah blah blah blah......
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 4:07am
Great, thanks @Monkeypuzzle
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Maze Maze wrote:

Thanks, CSG.

Talking to someone local is probably not a bad idea. I had hoped I could order something online, that would be bulletproof for any amplication.

China voltage is 220-240. The guy I bought the system from says best to have at least 2x16A power source.

When you say 2 x 16a source. Make sure they are the same source when playing with a audio system unless you have some form of isolation between racks.
I.E not two separate 16a generators going in to one amp rack.
A 32a generator with 2 x 16a outlets is fine.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2020 at 2:06am
@Jacethebase Good point, I think it's a 'landline' this time and not a generator though.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2020 at 9:46am
One of these rubber box distro units 

Along with 30 meter 3g6mmho7rnf extension cable 

And a set of suitable adaptors for each end.. 

Edited by 4D - 29 September 2020 at 9:47am
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2020 at 11:20am

He is in China... are ceeforms used out there?

Post Reply Post Reply