Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What plan for single pd186

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What plan for single pd186
    Posted: 03 May 2022 at 8:25am
Hey, I have a single pd186 that we’re gonna use in a small room. The room is about 5 metres wide and 4 metres long. I’ve already got a pd186, but I haven’t built a box for it. We don’t have the budget to get anymore drivers and amps, so the build would be for a single driver. Does anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking of horns, but heard they shine when played with 4 or more.

Edit: We’ll be playing techno, dub and deep house.

Edited by Jarba - 03 May 2022 at 8:56am
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:41am
B and C Sub 18  : 18-SUB Model (1) (toutlehautparleur.com)

Remember plans are for internal measurements and using 19mm ply, change to 18mm and add some bracing.

B&C sub 18's - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1 Thread here on 186 in sub18. 

Search around more for some build pics for bracing and construction.
Jarba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:47am
Do you think the 184 sub would be a good alternative?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:05am
Originally posted by sarsen1 sarsen1 wrote:

B and C Sub 18  : 18-SUB Model (1) (toutlehautparleur.com)

Remember plans are for internal measurements and using 19mm ply, change to 18mm and add some bracing.

B&C sub 18's - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1 Thread here on 186 in sub18. 

Search around more for some build pics for bracing and construction.

The Original MK1 PD186, was great in this design.

Does the OP have original PD186 or later version !?

Not sure if later versions of PD186, will work as well, in same cabs, as the original.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Jarba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:09am
I believe it’s the original version
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:20am
pd186 is suitable driver for the 184 cab but if you want low notes, are using in a small room and aim to only build one I would personally go for a reflex option such as sub18. 

If you did want to build more boxes to match in future and use the system outside or in a larger venue, then 184 could be an option. Although some might say that due to the 184 design being over 20 years old you might be better off looking at something else. The answer is as always; it depends! 
Jarba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:52am
Would it be stupid to go with a 186 horn if we’re only gonna be using one? Or is there some other horns that would work alone? 
Jarba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 12:15pm
I should also state that size doesn’t matter at all, it will be in one place and not moved around.
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Jarba Jarba wrote:

Would it be stupid to go with a 186 horn if we’re only gonna be using one? Or is there some other horns that would work alone? 

186 would be even worse in small room than 184 in my opinion, will not drop low at all and designed to be used in block of 4 or more. My experience of messing around different subs in my small 11ft by 21ft studio is that anything other than reflex sounds pants. 

If you want to build something more 'exotic' than reflex for the experience/looks/building a larger system in the future and don't mind that it wont sound great, then do it. If you want what will sound loudest and lower in a small space then go reflex.

As mentioned above Mk1 PD186 sounds great in the sub18 plan and would provide more than enough bass to shake your room.
Jarba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 8:24pm
Yeah, the reason a horn is more attractive is that we have it in a reloop pa1600 box. The box is kinda designed like the b&c 18 and the measurements are 530x650x800mm. It’s not as loud as we want though, we want the bass to be much more physical. Maybe it’s the room that causes a lot of cancellation? I tested it just now super inaccurately, but it gets about 110db at 50hz with 800 watts. I measured it with my iPhone right where the opening is. I know the measurement is inaccurate, but isn’t this quite low? I used a peavey cs800 amp at max for the measurement.
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:10pm
Not 100 % sure what the Thiele-small parameters are for the old PD186 you have but I would expect 124 - 125 db  2pi in a reflex cabinet like the 18-sub reflex. So your 'measurement'  is way off or you have a problem somewhere?
Jarba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:12pm
I’m not sure, the iphone should only be about 2-5 db off. I’m not sure what else could be the problem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>