Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What programes do you DJ with??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What programes do you DJ with??
    Posted: 22 July 2009 at 4:18pm
I use virtual DJ, which i thinks alright.  Got it free of the net and havnt really thought about getting anything else.  Any laptop DJ's here think theres anything better.  Some of my m8s use Abelton.. which just confuses me.  I heard Traktor is good.... better than virtual Dj???
Pooley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:17pm
Ableton if I'm really mixing things up, the creative possibilities are huge! Traktor when I feel like Ableton is cheating too much 
super-hero View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:47pm
I use Virtual DJ pro, which is great for audio and video. It lets you be as creative or as lazy as you want to be.

Been using it every weekend for over a year with no problems. I also use a usb mixer.
I'm not an animal, I'm a human being.
Pooley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 6:17pm
I use a midi controller - you definately need some faders and knobs to twiddle!
Ryan94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2009 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by super-hero super-hero wrote:

I use Virtual DJ pro, which is great for audio and video. It lets you be as creative or as lazy as you want to be.

Been using it every weekend for over a year with no problems. I also use a usb mixer.

+1 great program! some people say its just being lazy but there is so much you can do on it and the video capabilities are a great bonus.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 1:04am
Traktor :)

I also find that while its similar to virtual DJ, everyones opinion is that just from the name, VDJ is inferior..

serato scratch is also great. gotta love the fusion of vinyl and tech Thumbs Up
asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 1:04pm
in my opinion, there isnothing that can even come close to touching Ableton Live+Midi controller in terms of computer DJing.
workidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 4:41am
what do people think about mixmeister, i found it good for making mixes but i imagin it wouldnt be very good live, has anyone tried it?
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:20pm
serato seems popular in plymouth, many residents using it
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Naff_monk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naff_monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 1:07pm
I've been experimenting with the cheaper end of the DVS software recently coz we can’t afford serato/traktor (mostly because we spend all our dosh on speakers). Here's what I've found:

Virtual DJ - my flat mates favorite s/ware because it integrates the control vinyl and looping the best. Works well with a lot of different control vinyl but does get confused sometimes and refuses to read the signal. Main gripe though is that we couldnt find out how to send the audio "thru" from the vinyl to the output when playing normal tunes. I'm sure its possible, but not obvious so if anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear.

Mixvibes - This is my favorite so far, seems to be the most stable and responsive and doesn't swamp you with functionality that you don't need, so seems to keep up the best. The interface is laid out well and has everything i need (vst, loops, multi decks etc) however, my flat mate managed to crash it using the loop functions although I think this is because his laptop hasn't been re-formatted or virus scanned for years, hasn't been dual booted, and has virtually no free hard drive space.

Torq - Works ok, but quite a few reasons for not using it any more. If you only want to use one deck for control, when you switch sides, it will reset the other decks pitch to 0, making it completely pointless and quite frustrating, especially when m-audio actually admit to doing it deliberately. There's also only two decks available which isn't the end of the world, but is a limitation all the same. It has this weird thing occasionally that it decides to play the wave when its scanning a new tune and refuses to play anything other than a massively sped up version of the loaded file until it's stopped scanning. This was a real problem for me, as the first time it did it was in the middle of a set and happened three times, so i panicked a little and ended up rebooting my computer each time it happened without waiting till it stopped scanning. And finally, (according to my flat mate), you can't use loops and control vinyl at the same time, it just won't have it (apparently).

I think mixvibes is really good though, so I'll be sticking to that for the time being, however in the long run i'd like to be using ms pinky pluggo with ableton to get the best of both worlds i think but the lack of a demo/crack version is very annoying so I can't justify gamble of buying it until iv got a spare ton to chuck away incase its not what it cracked up to be.

PS. I've heard that Intimidation touch is gash, however I've not tried it so could be wrong

sorry for the overly lengthy reply Geek

L

djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 4:26pm
I use Virtual Dj
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 6:40pm
torq!

deffo a good system (for the money)... i got mine for 95 posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>