Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What thickness IEC cable for QSC RMX4050HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What thickness IEC cable for QSC RMX4050HD
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:52am
I have a QSC RMX4050HD amplifieir that didn't come with a power cable I bought the amp used what thickness IEC cable should I use? Should I ideally make one with 2.5mm 3 core cable and then put a 13A plug and IEC connector on or would a standard IEC cable be sufficient? The reason I ask is because I know standard IEC cables consist of only .075mm or 1.5mm strand cable.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:19am
IEC connectors are only good for 10 amps so 1.5mm is plenty. I doubt you would get 2.5 to fit anyway.
100% Earth Moving Bass
Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:25am
I guess the amp originally came with an IEC cable so 10A cable with a 13A fuse in the plug would be ok I guess.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:07pm

There are a few U.S. Amplifier Manufactures that offer smaller gauge (than one would expect) power cords for an amplifier that can consume more current than the cable gauge rating. In order to do this, the cable run needs to be short enough to not exceed the thermal rating of the current passing through the cable.

There are calculators online that will allow you to calculate the gauge versus length of the given current passing through at a specific voltage. 

QSC tends to rate their amplifiers at 1/8th of the power. So, the power cable reflects 1/8th of the power consumption to meet UL and CSA requirements. 

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
d.antonis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:20pm
Supra Lorad iec plug. Easily fits a 3x2.5mm power cable Pvc coated (rubber cable is too thick to fit).
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:11pm
The starting point is that the fuse in a UK plug is there to protect the cable set and not the appliance. Your amp will have its own fuse so you want to make sure that your cable can supply at least as much current as that fuse is rated for. A quick check suggests that the US version of your amp uses an 8A fuse so the UK should be about 4A and so, it would seem that almost any half decent IEC lead will be OK. I gather that you are aware of the general rules about current carrying and CSA of cable cores but  don't know if you are aware that there are different rules for manufactured IEC leads with moulded plugs that allow you to fuse them at 13A if they are less than 2m long so that is why you see IEC leads with 0.75mm cores.
HTH.
Andy
Down with signatures!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:21pm
Supra make those stupid massively overpriced crap that's no better than your average half decent cables. It's like those Kimber cables, the Supra IEC cable is £95 for a 2 metre cable, lol. Does the extension cable from the wall socket have to be much thicker? If say the amp rack is about 10 metres away from the nearest wall socket I mean, the venue is a village hall.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:07pm
This has been done to death.......
In theory, a Portable Appliance Test on anything fitted with a BS1363 13A plug and anything larger than 1.5mm² cable is a fail.

Quote from BS 1363-1:1995 and A4:2012 
Provision shall be made for the entry and effective clamping without bending of 2-core and 3-core flexible cords for rewirable plugs as given in Table 11, Table 12, Table 13, Table 26 and Table 27 of BS 6500:2000, having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mm2

Even though 2.5mm2 fits easily (as it does in some makes of BS1363 plugs) the fact that it’s expressly states in the regs that you cannot use cable exceeding 1.5mm2, then using 2.5mm2 in a BS1363 plug could (if an accident was to happen)  land you in a lot of hot water.   

Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:08pm
General rules as to total length are quite simple to remember.
Cable with 0.5mm cores is rated to handle 3A and should be no longer than 5m.
Cable with 0.75mm cores is rated to handle 6A and should be no longer than 7.5m
Cable with 1.0mm cores is rated to handle 10A and should be no longer than 10m.
Cable with 1.25mm cores is rated to handle 13A and should be no longer than 12.5m
Cable with 1.5mm cores is rated to handle 15A and should be no longer than 15m.
Cable with 2.5mm cores is rated to handle 16A and should be on longer than 25m.

In general, one or two decent quality 1.5mm extensions are going to be fine for a village hall. I would go for H07RN-F

Down with signatures!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:29pm
What happens if you exceed those lengths? Do you get less power to say in this case the amplifier? I mean not enough power to enable you to outpur it's full power? Or is it to do with possible fire risks due to heating up of the cable?

Edited by Jack_The_Ripper - 23 May 2018 at 9:36pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:40pm
Yes - voltage drop - but I reckon you can worry too much about that.

Someone posted up a chart here recently and I can't say I have the numbers in my head, but so long as you don't deviate massively from those guidelines you'll be losing at most 3 or 4% of the voltage - ~0.1dB.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:47pm
Would I still lose no more than 4%'ish if I connected two trailing leads together so there's two of them with 1.0mm sq connected together between the amplifier and the wall socket? The village hale is quite big must be about 100ft x 40ft and there aren't many wall sockets which I must say are very spaced out.

Also is this what you mean? 

Edited by Jack_The_Ripper - 23 May 2018 at 9:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>