Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what would you do different?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yesfam! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what would you do different?
    Posted: 12 August 2010 at 9:11am

Hi guys I am looking for some advice on the compatibility of some of the items i am looking at running, anything you would do differently?

This is what I had in mind

2 x 12v sealed 50ah batteries run in series

1 x sure 4*100w @4 ohm amp

2 channels, each running 1 x 10" eminence ragin cujun 8ohm 75w rms 100db for my low end

1 channel running 1 x fane studio 5m 8ohm 100db 50wrms 

1 channel running 1 x high-fi silk dome tweeter 3cm 8ohm 95db 40wrms 1.5khz-22khz

1x 3 way crossover

and would really like to run a mini mixer in the setup, now if anyone has suggestions on a small, low power basic mixer that will happily run with this kind of setup I would be very grateful.

Any potential problems you guys can see please feel free to pick my ideas apart and suggest alternatives.

Thanks for your time guys.  

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 3:38pm

The tweeters sensitivity is much too low. You need something that can at least match the midrange.

I have good experience with this one

http://www.paudiothailand.com/pdf/products/PHT-407N.pdf

It's reasonably priced, compact and light weight, and has good overall performance.

yesfam! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yesfam! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 9:02am

Thanks for the help, I found the PHT-407N quite hard to find available on the net, I have now put a much more sensitive tweeter on my wish list now.

still keeping my eyes open for some sort of basic mixer that is fairly energy efficient, I am only looking for a means to adjust bass and treble and a master volume control. Any suggestions?

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 11:52am
Btw, although the Sure does say 4x100W output into 4 Ohms, that's pretty optimistic too say the least. At 24V the éven theoretical maximum output power into 4 Ohms is 59W if we assume 82% effeciency as dictated by the amplifiers chips.

Let's for sake of ease say it's actually 4x60W into 4 Ohms instead, which in turn will make it 4x30W into the 8 Ohms speakers you use.
MunkeyQ View Drop Down

Beware,Scammer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MunkeyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 9:32pm
That Eminence is a guitar speaker, which isn't the best for your use by a long shot. Guitar speakers are designed to distort and colour the sound, which isn't what you want - they also tend to have a short excursion underhung motor and high Q + Fs, which won't give you much clean bass at all.

Look at the Eminence Alpha 10, reasonably priced and much more suitable for you. Generally speaking, drivers designed for guitar amps don't play nice when you don't want distortion.
 Post Reply Post Reply