Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whatever happened to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Muckerbarnes1 Muckerbarnes1 wrote:

Whatever happened to The Dome?
 I had food poisoning really bad. Hospital, no work for ages and years to get 'normal' from the damage.  

The beer was even worse than the food!

I do remember going to the UB40 after show party when they had played the Birmingham City FC gig. I think that was the last time I ever went into the club.

Edited by Nachural - 29 January 2013 at 9:45am
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
London Sound1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote London Sound1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:48am
I had forgotten about about The Night Out, we had a residence at The Sentinals a pub under one of the 2 tower blocks.

Ian
We know what most of the knobs do

http://www.soundengineer.co.uk
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

He used to advertise in the early music mags didn't he? I only remember seeing quite large systems. He used his name as the Brand name. He either retreated back to France quite early on, or stopped altogether.
I think his surname was spelt Venet, and pronounced in the typical French way.
Wasn't he the guy who designed/built this PA (looks like modified 4550s) that was shown on the front of one of the Groundhogs albums? I was trying to remember his name a while back for some research I was doing.

Edited by jazomir - 29 January 2013 at 2:01pm
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
To Old Now View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote To Old Now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 10:27pm
That could be him ,I am not sure i did not meet him but remember buying some Utah speakers and a power mixer of him in 1974. He disapeared soon after that. I am not sure if I have any paper work from him in my files.
I do remember seeing Ground Hogs though lol, I did fall asleep. he he.
BlueDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by PauliePaul PauliePaul wrote:

No been there since it's been the Academy, heard it's been 'V'DOSC'd' now though. I'm sure everything was EV when I used to go there.

Indeed it has, the main room has anyway. 2nd room is Turbosound they brought over from their Dale End site - the old Hummingbird.

Re Discosounds, I remember hiring all sorts of odds and sods from there in the mid nineties. I seem to remeber they moved into the rehearsal studios across the road for a while when they shut their shop (97?)
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

He used to advertise in the early music mags didn't he? I only remember seeing quite large systems. He used his name as the Brand name. He either retreated back to France quite early on, or stopped altogether.
Wasn't he the guy who designed/built this PA (looks like modified 4550s) that was shown on the front of one of the Groundhogs albums? I was trying to remember his name a while back for some research I was doing.
Seeing that photo brought back memories. I was coming back home on the ferry after a trip to Frankfurt, and met Tony sitting on his own, so we we spent the whole trip just yacking about guitars. I was there with my guitars on show and I had seen him demoing some guitars made out of the same stuff they make Bowling Balls out of. He's never been too showbizzy, he just likes to get on with his playing. A true Muso.
Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:45am

Have a pair of Mega cabs here,original atc drivers,still sound sweet,got them from a guy in Dunstable who had 8 of them.
Have been told the were up there with Turbosound back in the day
What goes around, comes around
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 1:57pm

Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

Seeing that photo brought back memories. I was coming back home on the ferry after a trip to Frankfurt, and met Tony sitting on his own, so we we spent the whole trip just yacking about guitars. I was there with my guitars on show and I had seen him demoing some guitars made out of the same stuff they make Bowling Balls out of. He's never been too showbizzy, he just likes to get on with his playing. A true Muso.

Would you believe, Tony McPhee married an ex girlfriend of mine yonks ago and a friend of mine is playing drums in Tony's current band.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 4:37am
Man I love this thread. Sadly no where near old enough to join but by heck would I love a walk around some of you old boy's lockups/warehouses and see the history. You should do tours complete with all this stuff.

Anyways, whatever happend to Thames and McKenzie? They were my first bits of kit, a Thames DJ setup with twin belt decks, a mixer and amp built in. The speakers were simple cabs with 15" McKenzie drivers and piezo horns. Mind you they were probably vintage when I got them in 1999 lol.
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 2:01pm
Old boys? Ha haa haa. Another name just cropped up. LAD . London Acoustical Developments. Forgot all about them. Has anyone heard of a speaker system called Gloster Gladiator?
W bin, 12' mid, 1" comp and tweeter. All RCF. A 3 box system. Made in Gloucester.
Billy Dawg.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 3:25pm
And what about Red Acoustic's probably the first ever active speaker 300 watt per cab via 3 amp's one for each 8" bass driver and one for the tweeters oh and the cabs were made from steel.

Edited by colint - 03 May 2014 at 3:43pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 3:47pm
Weighty, wasn't an early flar-e cab then?
music is the message
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>