Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s the deal with scoops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noviygera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s the deal with scoops
    Posted: 10 February 2024 at 8:30pm
I wanted to ask “what’s the scoop on scoops” but decided I might be banned here :)

Is the scoop just a backloaded horn?
What are they good at and what are their deficiencies?
Is the midbass cancellation dip noticeable?
When would you recommend to use something like a JBL4530?

Thanks!
Herman
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2024 at 9:58pm
Scoop is a Rear Loaded Horn...Pro; Monster Bass when used in Groups...Con; Phase problems between front and rear of Cone Output.....Also loss of Bass at a distance Outside...Some LOVE Them....Some HATE Them....Your call.   VECTORSONICS
noviygera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noviygera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2024 at 10:57pm
What are the reasons “Some LOVE Them....Some HATE Them” ?

is the dip in the frequency response, noticeable?
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by noviygera noviygera wrote:

What are the reasons “Some LOVE Them....Some HATE Them” ?

For general purpose applications or sound reinforcement (PA) there are better choices, with flatter frequency response.
If you are playing pre-recorded music and tailoring the sound as you go, using a preamp or equaliser - as with a reggae sound system or similar - then a really flat response doesn't matter.
So it's not surprising that PA people generally don't like them, and a lot of Sound System people love them.

Quote is the dip in the frequency response, noticeable?

It depends on where you cross them over, how you are using them, and what type of program material you are playing (see above). If it sounds good to you, then it's OK.

See this thread for response curves etc:

I think scoops were originally designed for small cinema venues where there wasn't enough room behind the screen for full size bass bins.

Edited by madboffin - 11 February 2024 at 8:29pm
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 9:41pm
Scoops equals emotion. For me the jbl 4520/30’s are the sound of my youth in Belgian clubs mid 90’s. It’s a “lazy” sound due all the weird things going on between the direct output of the speaker and the horn which follows. A preferred taste so to say. A decent bassreflex trumps in every aspect but still doesn’t tingel my spine like a 4520 playing nightshift by the commodores.

Edited by Bams - 11 February 2024 at 9:42pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 9:56am
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

See this thread for response curves etc:

I think scoops were originally designed for small cinema venues where there wasn't enough room behind the screen for full size bass bins.

You bloody necrophile, I'd all but forgotten about that post LOL

Still baffled by the lack of response to that one. Confused

But I have to report in true scoop forum fashion, that I recently heard a 2 scoop stack loaded with beefy british 15" woofers drop some respectable 35 Hz weight! To be fair, IIRC it has a larger chamber than a 4530 (overall slightly larger cab), and could in theory almost fit a 18" woofer on it's baffle. 

Edited by bob4 - 12 February 2024 at 10:08am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 10:06am
Originally posted by noviygera noviygera wrote:

Is the midbass cancellation dip noticeable?
When would you recommend to use something like a JBL4530?

1. Yes
2. JBL 4530 can be a nice home system for jazz.... 

It's a bit of hit and miss really, and that is why people are quite secretive on this forum. But with the right combination: 1)suitable, beefy sub driver 2) loaded into asuitable cab 3)powered by a decent, powerful enough amplifier

You get minor earthquakes. 30-90/100 Hz very physical experience. 
IMO a scoop should really go down deep enough to justify the size and compromise. 
 Post Reply Post Reply