Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

when a sealed box is better than vented?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by app app wrote:

Its weird that to my understanding sealed enclosures are out of fashion,or am I just totally wrong?

from a historical perspective, amp power was comparably restricted and expensive for a long time, hence the need for horn and reflex loading to achieve satisfactory output levels (cinema, PA).

A few years ago there was a big debate about alleged benefits and effectiveness of large sealed enclosure arrays in the german DIY/PA community that never drew to a conclusion - a little bit like the endless Scoop Wars here on SP..... LOL

Although, the germans tended to get a little bit more technical about it..... Geek

Edited by bob4 - 30 November 2014 at 9:34pm
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 9:33pm
At the end of the day I think sound quality is more important than how loud it is! Altough I must admit that when I saw Aba Shanti and Jah Tubbys I loved the heaviness of their sound,on the flipside I was basically half deaf for many days which wasnt nice!

I think that people might get too caught up in making complicated designs when it might be smarter to keep it simple! I think the simplicity is an overlooked aspect of everything music related,like music production for example.

A microphone hanging from the ceiling used to be enough,theres some quality recordings made really simple without using 254 channel mixersLOL

Of course evolution is important and you cant stop the progression but maybe its easy to over do things nowadays when theres too many possibilities and new things one can do.

"what!?"
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 9:34pm
Coincidental thread, I'm pondering this myself
Have been given 4x 15" salvaged from mid/top cabs, and want to do something with them
Considering putting each in a ~70litre sealed box to run from 80/90 up, on top of reflex subs

My assumption is with smoother phase the sealed boxes should be easier to integrate in a system than BR - is this correct?

GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 10:05pm
Yeah I'd say go for it dude. I've gotta wait whilst spring as I do most of my woodwork outside! Certainly gonna try some experimentation anyway. They say its quite hard to balls up a sealed bass cab as the design is so forgiving, which is always a bonus!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 11:49pm
Where do you think a sealed box is better than a reflex for example?

In the home where one can use boundaries (corners, walls and so forth) to add more SPL.

Whats the benefit of a kick bin being vented/sealed?

Most guys that use a kick bin are using midrange cabinets unable to reach 100 Hz. The vented/sealed route goes more to wards the TS Parameters of the loudspeaker, the cabinet size and, what is the desired frequencies the user is looking to agitate.

Dont the ports come sort of useless after certain frequency?

Ports can play factor all the way up to the mid range region. It really depends on the user requirements.

Whats the limit of where a port becomes useless?

Thanks!

Read the above.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:16pm
Did you get any further on your 2x 12" box plans app?

Hopefully going to pick up the wood for mine in the next couple of weeks for my large single 12" box.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by GEB GEB wrote:

Did you get any further on your 2x 12" box plans app?

Hopefully going to pick up the wood for mine in the next couple of weeks for my large single 12" box.

I decided to go for 2 boxes instead. 35x35x35 inside diameter without the bracing and driver. Have not yet to test em properly.

Whats a large single 12" box?
"what!?"
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:22pm
Sorry should of been clearer. A large sealed enclosure, 12" driver, running 80/90hz - 180/200hz, depending on what sounds best.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:28pm
No worries man. The test ive done in my living room suggests that the boxes will work well! Hard to say for sure since I dont have the guts to turn the system up in my one room apartmentLOL

I also need to test different crossover points...Hopefully next week! Ill try to take some video evidence...

Good to hear that someones building somethingThumbs Up
"what!?"
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:43pm
Try and post some pics dude. Pictures spur us all on to build more I think!

Edited by GEB - 10 January 2015 at 4:44pm
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:46pm
If SPL is not the main goal, I love Sealed box sound. The group delay and phasing are usually so much easier on the ears.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:49pm

"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>