Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

when a sealed box is better than vented?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:52pm
"what!?"
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

If SPL is not the main goal, I love Sealed box sound. The group delay and phasing are usually so much easier on the ears.

Thumbs Up

Do you like to use wadding in sealed box? I didnt put any but might try later it it affects the sound in anyway...

Edited by app - 10 January 2015 at 4:53pm
"what!?"
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:59pm
I personally find a wadded box better in this freq band and intend to use plenty of it, but will do a comparison test aswell with/without.

Great work by the way, looking good
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 6:19pm
I like a bit of wadding too. I have built the box, thought it sounded good, but still tried a bit of wadding ( I used Polyfill) and it sounded even better because it decreased some upper range resonance ringing effects. Still, if you have multiple boxes, you can A/B and find your personal preference easily, and also figure out how much wadding you like.
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 6:46pm
What did you build b grade? Sorry if I missed that bit, on ma phone.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 8:45pm
The sealed box was nothing special. Mine was just a little car sub. It does not go very low as I needed it small, but the sound is just so clean, it requires very little fiddling. When I put my bigger reflex boxes in there, they require way less power to be loud, but they sound far muddier, and they require a bunch more adjustment to get right and sometimes when I think they sound perfect the genre playing changes and problems pop right back up.

My most recent build was some straight horn mids with a small sealed chamber, which is clearly not the same thing, but some of the same principles applied in designing them. Without the rear and front sounds interacting, the response is less bumpy and the phase changes are less dramatic.
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2015 at 11:15pm
Cut wood today. Will post pics as I build.
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2015 at 11:20pm
Dry fit,

app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 10:34pm
Did you finish the boxes geb?

My sealed 12" are working real nice!
"what!?"
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 9:21pm
Sorry app, only just seen your reply! Better late than never lol. Yes, will just snap a couple of pics for you...

GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 9:24pm

Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2015 at 11:27pm

Super 4 way, how is it processed?  & app whats on hf?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>