Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whens the next scoop shootout?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:07pm
Right thats the banter on how it should be done, now lets have the banter of what driver/scoop combinations should be there?? Wink
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
YoungBlood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Nitz V1505 Nitz V1505 wrote:

Listen Blood ,Studio was saying the best way to test a cab,seen!!!!!! But what are the chances of everyone having the same driver,pretty slim. So the shootout should be the best driver/cab combo like it has been in the past. Bring the preamp but after setting the thing shouldnt be touched (especially by the man like Tweeter!!!!!LOL) for each scoop test. And blood ire up the I self,blessed.

respecks nitz

as long as turbomax get enough power and eq to blast no problem... LOL

Edited by YoungBlood - 15 January 2011 at 9:38pm
"chyll wynstan.."
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:49pm

True that but I do like the sound of the xb inna scoop. For me its not all about brutal spl its about what sounds the best. But for a shoot out you gotta take the driver within an inch of its life!!!!!!

LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 3:10am
Originally posted by TRE4U2NV TRE4U2NV wrote:

'Seismic'   aint you used that name before mike ?
yeah but I spelt it wrong back thenEmbarrassed and seismic may only be temporary....the name that is!

Edited by mykey- - 16 January 2011 at 4:00am
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 4:53am
Originally posted by YoungBlood YoungBlood wrote:

hope the way ppl test this time is proper soundman test not flat eq stupid business

each box and driver should push to the limits with people voting
it's the only wayEmbarrassed

I would say test like this......

1. first put into categories 15? 18? 21" mini-full
2. Test all flatClap
3. Sweeps 
4. Test at full power (youngblood)
5. Test at designers preference (youngblood) 
6.. Best in each category
7. Test with all genres of music
8. Best all round scoop of the day, taking into account, weight, size, sound

should take a few hoursLOL
PauliePaul View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 12:08am

Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

hope the way ppl test this time is proper soundman test not flat eq stupid business

each box and driver should push to the limits with people voting

That won't be a fair test though. If you're really trying to compare BOXES, then everything else must stay the same - driver, amp, and signal feeding amp.

how can it be same driver for every box when everybody know turbomax no good in small chamber and 1850 best in small chamber full scoop? idiot ting datConfused

you find out which driver best for box and then which box go loudest and deepest without blow up

all rootsman know is when good preamp and strong amp on box is when you really hear it play
can see this shootout ah joke ting already

So, Sir, will you be bringing your own drivers (TM's/PD.1850's or whatever) to be hammered to within an inch of their life and/or nailed to a cross in the name of 'proper soundman' testing.... or will you be expecting other people to bring their lambs to the slaughter whilst you watch and criticize from the back?

Perhaps consider calibrated tone generators and measuring devices and a single amp set at a specified level to ascertain spl levels at different frequencies and to get a feel of what the boxes can do.... ie, at xHz box A and driver A produced ydB, but with box A and driver B it produced zdB...... instead of throwing some badly copied/burnt/over eq'd track through someones system which will be set specifically to what they run or use.

Do some higher power track testing later after all the measurements have been taken to see how the aural results compare to the tone results.

Incidently, if you have to throw bucketfulls of power at a cab/driver combo to produce a similar sort of sound level to that of another cab/driver combo using much less power then that itself should speak volumes to you. (Note: I didn't use the the phrase 'quality of sound' in this paragraph, only sound level)

Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Science need not be your enemy Wink

Classic!

TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 9:15pm
Before listening to any music, you could run a sweep test at 5hz intervals into all the cabs through the same amp. Make up the graphs accordingly. This will tell you loads before you start.
I do this with all A/B testing i've done in the past. Paul and I also did this in the factory between two different chassis speakers. It would be a very good start and completely fair.
S&P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by S&P S&P wrote:

Title is self expanatory - any plans on one this year with several new designs having appeared?

So is there going to be one then?  Anyone chomping at the bit to organise it?
Sounds and Pressure Lo Fi Sound - Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae
http://www.facebook.com/events/412323448834558/432237103509859/?comment_id=432362186830684¬if_t=event_mall_reply#!/groups/75371249167/
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 6:04am
5hz steps do you mean Tony? or do these intervals involve cups of tea and biscuits? if so, I'm defo coming

Edited by mykey- - 19 January 2011 at 7:36am
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:27am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Before listening to any music, you could run a sweep test at 5hz intervals into all the cabs through the same amp. Make up the graphs accordingly. This will tell you loads before you start.
I do this with all A/B testing i've done in the past. Paul and I also did this in the factory between two different chassis speakers. It would be a very good start and completely fair.
  This has got to be the best and most scientific way bar having an anechoic chamber at hand. Mykey bring your tea cosy!!!LOL
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
dansound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 1:04pm
if no venue is sorted for this yet, i maybe able to host it in north london quite soon. who's in.
PEACE//LIVE IN IT//OR REST IN IT
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 1:17pm
Danny boy, yu the man, Tottenham?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>