Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which multi-channel amp for subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

i'm on a 2 week ban from AVS and over there you're not cool unless you run at least 8 subs in your home theater and unless the subs are TC Sounds LMS Ultra they should be at least 21" ...

So it appears you are tyrying to "be cool" and keep up with the neighbours rather that trying to get good sound.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 2:39pm

Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Yet another stupid question from yet another penniless dreamer with nothing better to do than waste members time on here!!!!!!!

what exactly is stupid about the question ?

you don't agree with my goals - i don't agree with yours.

i guess that makes you an idiot - right ?

or did you wait like a slave until others voiced their opinions so you could mirror them and get a pat on the back from fellow sheep for being a good boy who never thinks for himself and only can voice the sentiment you pick up from others  ?

yeah i thought so.

LOL, you obviously don’t have a clue….. and you have no idea who you have just called an idiot!!

Robbo is most certainly no idiot or a sheep.

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 2:43pm
Anyone who needs one 21” subwoofer let alone 8 in a house clearly can not design, build or tune a worthwhile subwoofer. End.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 4:08pm

that link to AliExpress doesn't go anywhere not that it matters as i think i was pretty clear i'm not looking to pick up Chinese scrap metal ...
The link works perfectly for me, must be something on your end. 

were you trying to link to one of those Sinbosen FP20000 units that everybody uses at AVS ?
It was something similar but I don't know if it matters. You're all over the map, you say you don't want cheap junk but then mention Crown XLS which are the cheap chinese junk you're trying to avoid. You want Powersoft or Lab Gruppen but you're "broke and want the cheapest gear possible", but then turn up your nose at the chinese stuff. The caribbean island crews have been flogging some of these big chinese amps for years now and they have gained in popularity because of the performance delivered. 
In a brand name amplifier the most affordable option may be these... T604 - Powersoft yeah still not exactly cheap but there is no middle ground in the high power multi channel amplifier market.. in case you hadn't noticed. 
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 5:08pm
Get an Alexa.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 6:00pm
If you want deep bass, and dont need oodless of SPL, get some old JBL TCB subs. Dual 18“ bandpass in a massive box. They go low! And can be found really cheap :)
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 7:09pm
Line array, if you're serious i suggest you state your budget, music type, a detailed description of the space and ask the people here to suggest a solution for you. 

Just throwing your own ideas out and trying to get people to pull them together wont yield useful results in the same way. 
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

If you want deep bass, and dont need oodless of SPL, get some old JBL TCB subs. Dual 18“ bandpass in a massive box. They go low! And can be found really cheap :)

An excellent choice. I remember JBL providing a Sound Power system for a Ministry Of Sound club tour back in the late 90s. Made the news here as during a sound check, they managed to blow the windows out one of the venues.  Smile

Edited by Andylaser - 21 March 2022 at 3:10pm
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 12:33am
Just go into a US hifi shop and ask for a "Mugs Eyeful". I'm confident that someone will point you in the right direction. Oh, and I almost forgot. You'll definitely be needing the TK-421 upgrade to boost the bass by atleast 3 or 4 quads per channel.

Edited by Lucasdude - 21 March 2022 at 12:37am
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 5:31am

i'm on a 2 week ban from AVS

I can’t imagine why…..
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 8:57am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Anyone who needs one 21” subwoofer let alone 8 in a house clearly can not design, build or tune a worthwhile subwoofer. End.

Hard disagree. It’s not about the output level from the single box, it’s about decorrelation to provide far more consistent tone and level across the listening area.

https://smartech.gatech.edu/handle/1853/51379
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=13041

Unless you're arguing that folks like Earl Geddes don't know how to make a subwoofer?

Yet another example of why this forum is so damn stagnant, dealing with the same old cycles of the same questions.

To the OP: head over to diyAudio. Plenty of folk experienced with MSO and the like there.

Edited by toastyghost - 21 March 2022 at 9:00am
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

It was something similar but I don't know if it matters. You're all over the map, you say you don't want cheap junk but then mention Crown XLS which are the cheap chinese junk you're trying to avoid. You want Powersoft or Lab Gruppen but you're "broke and want the cheapest gear possible", but then turn up your nose at the chinese stuff. The caribbean island crews have been flogging some of these big chinese amps for years now and they have gained in popularity because of the performance delivered. 
In a brand name amplifier the most affordable option may be these...  https://www.powersoft.com/en/products/touring-amps/t-series/t604 - T604 - Powersoft yeah still not exactly cheap but there is no middle ground in the high power multi channel amplifier market.. in case you hadn't noticed. 

first of all thank you for not being a Troll and actually trying to answer the question.

you say Crown XLS is cheap Chinese junk ... i can see how an amp that only weighs 10 lbs and has RCA inputs and "DSP" that misses basic functions like subsonic filter or delay can be considered cheap junk ...

but they're some of the quietest amps ( in terms of fan noise ) on the market and unlike the Sinbosen stuff you can buy them from a reputable store, send them back if you don't like them and even ( GASP ! ) get warranty service if they need it.  

even though everybody on AVS runs those sinbosens and they break left and right i have yet to hear of ONE case of Sinbosen fixing anything under warranty.  it's always "i tried to contact Sinbosen and not much luck" ...  on other had they also all run XLS and i have yet to hear of even one XLS breaking at all nor have i ever heard of Crown not honoring warranty on their amps.

what do you mean by Caribbean Island crews ?  are those guys extra good at soldering or something ?  what makes them like these Chinese amps if nobody uses them here in US professionally ?

also the FP20000 is supposedly class TD which isn't the ideal type of amp for subs ... can you post a link to some other website with the same amp ?  maybe eBay ?

as for Powersoft T Series ... you will accuse me of flip flopping again because i said i don't want to waste an entire rack on subwoofer amps but actually i don't want single rack unit amps either ... i just don't like how they use all these weird fans and then they only pull the air over the heatsink instead of the entire amp because they used all the space in the back on the XLR plugs and only had room left for a tiny exhaust hole ...

i really like how military / industrial the ottocanali looks inside:

https://youtu.be/VCAOWEtj2TQ

it looks like it was pulled form some kind of Soviet Space Station while the 1RU powersofts look so pretty inside you can't take them very seriously ... they almost look like the Chinese fakes that paint aluminum to look like copper to beautify the amp on the inside and then decorate it with extra fans that do nothing except make noise ...

basically what are considered go to subwoofer amps for EDM ?  i guess you already answered with that Powersoft T series but what if we limit the options to 2RU amps ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>