Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which OHM subs ??? BR or TRS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 2:05am
please dont take offence.... were your trs218's copies?... i mean china will copy anything for a quick buck and so will anyone wanting to make a bit of ££££. did you buy them direct or "brand new" off someone you know?

any well made sub shouldnt rattle.... let alone 12 subs!

it kinda sounds like someones pulled a fast one on you is all. sorry... iv got wine in front of me...
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
darkraver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkraver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 6:09am
Fail1 - abusing kit with excessive input level, if the cabs cant deliver whats needed at sensible level, the application needs more kit [HEADROOM!]

I totally agree. Trying to get more out of single unit by trying to put in more power does not make any sense. Best alternative would indeed be to increase the number of cabinets.
That is why I think to try to put in 2,5kw is absurd !

Fail2 - replacing drivers with non originals. Driver TS parameters must be matched to the cabinets, power handling means didily squat if the sensitivity and response is all over the shop. You may find drivers which match, and also give a gain in sensitivity/excursion/handling, but you may find a different driver will have a terrible response all over the shop. Likewise, the driver could be hitting xmax or other mechanical limits through being badly twinned to the cabinet. 

Well I do agree again, you cannot just screw something differently in, just they have been in contact with 18Sound and some other Ohm users in advance who swapped speakers as well.
Actually I have told them not to do it and spend the money on getting different subs, in fact I advised them to sell all TRS tops and subs but they decided differently.
But anyway since then no more defects and the performance / sound did not get worse.
And while doing a test sweep the drivers absolutely had a way better power handling !

The cabs are originals so no copies for sure :)

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 10:14am
Darkraver - you don't say where in the world you are on your profile - but if you're anywhere remotely near Cheshire, it might be worth a trip to OHM to have a listen to a TRS that isn't one of 'those 12' - and if its logistically possible even take one of the 12 along to be looked at, really sounds like something's up.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 10:26am
Originally posted by darkraver darkraver wrote:

And no I would not put any "real" 2,5kw in any TRS218 for sure.
Except for power compression and damaged speakers it will not make much sense.
Or will the TRS218 play twice as loud while putting in 2,5KW ? do not think so LOL.
Risking damaging your cones for that, perhaps, 1db extra, is it worth it ?

Sorry, but you don't seem to know enough to challenge me on this one ;)

Once again, please tell what settings were used in LMS and how did you do the "sweep test".
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 11:47am
I have seen this problem before with TRS218 as we have had a lot of them come into us ex install either with blown drivers or lots of different ones that have been replaced by the venues.
The main problem is being overdriven by idiots who have no knowledge or no respect for equipment that they are using and we have also seen some really badly set up systems with either totally wrong settings in the DSP or very poor limiting.
In a 2x18 sub such as Turbo or F1 the drivers rear chamber is a sealed small enclosure so they will take a lot more abuse than a ported horn loaded cabinet design such as the TRS218 and this is why the TRS218 design will give out more SPL, go down lower in response than the Turbo or F1 design and at the same time sound better, but to get the best out of them, they have to be set up correctly as any abuse or wrongly set up DSP units will result in blown drivers.

Edited by Robbo - 21 December 2012 at 11:48am
kristoffdj1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristoffdj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 12:06pm
An I correct in thinking that a trs 118 is 'just' a single driver reflex box and a trs 218 is a twin driver ported horn?

darkraver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkraver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 12:52pm
Pasi,

So you think it makes any sense to input like 2,5KW into a 800 or 1000W Cabinet ?
I doubt to be honest. 

Settings are the original Ohm ones :) so nothing strange or weird.
We discussed this a while ago already..

Edited by darkraver - 21 December 2012 at 12:54pm
darkraver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkraver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 12:53pm
I wrote a stack of 2 vs a single Ohm TRS Wink
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 12:54pm

So you think it makes any sense to input like 2,5KW into a 800 or 1000W Cabinet ?
I doubt to be honest.

Since i know what i'm doing, sure. Box is very underrated power handling wise anyway. Never blown a driver, not on these or anything else either.

Just, list the settings here and we'll see.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

I doubt to be honest.

Since i know what i'm doing, sure. Box is very underrated power handling wise anyway. Never blown a driver, not on these or anything else either.

The original OHM settings won't be much use now yours have 18sound drivers in, making them your own hybrid...
darkraver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkraver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 1:08pm
Pasi,

Luckily you are not the only person that has never blown any driver.
I never did, but some people do.
Especially DJs like red lights...

And no I would not put any 2,5kw on a 800 or 1000W cabinet.
Little mistake with processing and limiting and the party could be over before it has started..

Some while ago we played around with amps being tested on some 21" reflex ones. We managed to put in more than 4kw (or even 5kw, do not have details in front of me)  into a listen 1600W AES 21" woofer.
Does it make any sense.. Hell no, for that perhaps 1 db extra in my opinion is does not make any sense.

darkraver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkraver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

I doubt to be honest.

The original OHM settings won't be much use now yours have 18sound drivers in, making them your own hybrid...

Well the 18S were purely installed to prevend damaged speakers.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>