Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which soundcards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which soundcards?
    Posted: 20 December 2009 at 7:49am
Hi guys,

I dont often check the pc links, really mainly the PA topics. Anyway I am hoping you can recommend me a pair of sound cards. i have 2 quite old pc's which are used for occasional dj'ing, but mainly home PA (hifi wannabe) which have cheapish yamaha PCI soundcards. They sound fine but have a pretty crap s/n ratio. I would like to find a replacement.

What I am after is something 'liteweight' if possible or needed (oldish computers, dunno if soundcards can hog prcocessors..), something where just reasonably good stereo output is good. No 5.1 xx crap is required.

The pc's are just old AMD700's. I only play files off them using winamp with  plugins so no HP is needed, and I dont want (or need) to upgrade as they do just fine. I run Windows XP.

I have a spare SoundBlaster Audigy SB0900, so could either buy another one exactly the same or 2 new/2nd hand cards the same. The reason is that I still want to backup the OS partiton using ghost so I can reload easily on either identical PC if the brown stuff hits the fan, and just change the PC's name and IP address depending on whether it's PC1 or PC2, if that makes sense.

I have only heard of soundblaster mostly for audio, and there are 2 x soundblaster on trademe:

Are these likely to have OK specs? They are very cheap, but cant seem to find any specs on google to show the audio quality.

I need some that approach hifi standards really if possible. My Audigy card does sound pretty good to me, so maybe another one the same?

Any recommendations?

Cheers,Lincoln.

Edited by Lincoln1 - 20 December 2009 at 7:53am
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 11:37am
i use a midiman audiphile 2496.  cheap but in a different league to creative soundblaster products. 
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:42pm
Quote The reason is that I still want to backup the OS partiton using ghost so I can reload easily on either identical PC if the brown stuff hits the fan, and just change the PC's name and IP address depending on whether it's PC1 or PC2, if that makes sense.

Have you ever actually done this successfully already?
AFAIK, even if the components are identical, the system ID generated at install will be different on each machine, and it'll likely fail when you try to load it on the other machine.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

i use a midiman audiphile 2496.  cheap but in a different league to creative soundblaster products. 
I have never heard of that type. Will google and check out. Cheers.

Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Quote The reason is that I still want to backup the OS partiton using ghost so I can reload easily on either identical PC if the brown stuff hits the fan, and just change the PC's name and IP address depending on whether it's PC1 or PC2, if that makes sense.

Have you ever actually done this successfully already?
AFAIK, even if the components are identical, the system ID generated at install will be different on each machine, and it'll likely fail when you try to load it on the other machine.
Yes seems to work fine. Maybe at bootup windows finds any new hardware/drivers/id's and reloads on bootup. The only prob is when I plug the network cable in it clashes as I forget to change the ip addrss. A while back i hadnt used them for a while and BOTH bios batteries were flatCry...and the only image was with the onboard sound (ie no drivers for the yamaha card)...that was fun. Had to drive home and grab my home PC to see me thru. But yeah ghosting saves a heap of time and works. As long as it's an image with the correct hardware and software installedWink
Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2009 at 8:04am
Had a thought that I could use my SPDIF jacks and use a separate DAC? Maybe an option...
asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 4:43am
midiman became M-Audio AWHILE ago.

Its now called the M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 and the one ive got in my PC here is perfect
 Post Reply Post Reply