Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

‘Whip crack’ pop on sound system??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ‘Whip crack’ pop on sound system??
    Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:00am
I was Sound checking my system last night for a wedding gig and about three times intermittently there was a really loud pop/crack. 
Scarily loud like I was very concerned for my HF Drivers. 
It happens without anything plugged into the dsp inputs so not signal related. 
Could it be Static?
The setup is in an enormous Polytunnel (I know...sounds bonkers) also I read somewhere it could be from an electrical appliance starting up. 
I ran the system for a while with the Amp gains at half to see if it would return and It seemed to have stoped. 
I’m now shitting it that it’ll return during the Gig. 
Any suggestions??
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:26am
I had a similar thing last gig.. was also shitting it and wondering how to check/find the fault without killing my tops! probs a totally different thing but what i worked out (and fixed) was a voltage regulator in my diy preamp had got bent over and bent back a couple of times (probs when doing other works inside) and 2 of the legs had basically broken.. so when the bass got turned up the vibrations caused an intermittent connection and there fore caused a little arc or spark..   your problem sounds very much the same.. could it be a loose connection on one of your bits of gear? Def sounds like it to me..

Good luck hope you can solve it..  lucky for me we were set up 2 hours early for the gig so just about had time to do the repair..
Reverence Sound system

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 11:09am
mains power or generator?
is there hired in catering stuff on the same power?
i haven't really got an answer but i've had odd noises from the likes of freezers coming on and off before.
i hate stuff like this. it keeps me awake.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 11:16am
Mains power and yes there are fridges which I’ve flagged with the on site electrician. 
Yeah, you’re right...proper stressful!
kingkong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:18pm
sounds like fridges /freezers, have had that prob before .flourescent lighting startup on same ring main can do it and obviously anything with a motor .
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:13pm
Fridges kicking in and out are a pain in the arse if you are sharing the same geni with them, try and get them onto another Geni if at all possible
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:33pm
I normally employ a little percussive maintenance in situations like this where there is an intermittent noise or fault. So basically, turn your amps up just a tiny bit and then give all the signal processing gear a firm tap with your hand. If that doesn't produce the crackle, go through all the 240v connectors and give them a good wiggle. Same for signal connections. Quite often this will reveal the source of the noise. (No monies return'd.) 

I had to go to my installed venue yesterday and thump one of the DCX's until it stopped playing white noise through the left tweeter. It was embarrassing. But no amount of re-seating will keep that ribbon cable from playing up, it seems.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:54pm
Sound advice (pardon the pun) thanks a mill. 
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:01pm

Limiters on a DCX2496 ?
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Limiters on a DCX2496 ?

It’s not that....not using a DCX and happens with nothing playing through it. 
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Limiters on a DCX2496 ?

I've had the limiters on a dcx2496 make a 'whip/crack' sound and actually cut the signal completely one night, that was in an old workmans club with an abysmal power supply and a djm 600 wound so far into the red that I could have probably bypassed the amps and powered the speakers from the mixer. It was only that one night I've had it happen, never experienced it since in about twelve years of using a dcx..
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:20am
"wound so far into the red that I could have probably bypassed the amps and powered the speakers from the mixer. "

Haha gold !!!
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Post Reply Post Reply