Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is Windows Media Player distorting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 11:13pm
Well guys I ran a Norton full system scan. It found and dealt with16 threats. Been playing WMP for over 5 hours and things still cool. No distortion. I couldn't get on with VLC. Every time I tried to add extra tracks to my playlist it just kept launching a new instance of VLC. Probably a simple setting but haven't got the patience to look for it.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 5:56am
Yeah, not sure why anyone would suggest vlc tbh.
Best video player out there imo but worthless for making playlists.
I highly recommend foobar for overall media player. Will play any file you throw at it, super easy to configure playlists and most importantly the search function is incredibly fast!
But the reason i like it most, is the freely configurable dsp you can add as well as selection of output source etc (i tend to switch a lot) from onboard,external soundcard (multiple), dante virtual soundcard as well as dante via.

No switching back to anything else for me in the near future.

Ow, and did i say its lovely to be able to do a soundcheck with pre recorded music and being able to walk the crowd area skipping through the tracks using my iphone and/or ipad
Best regards,
Teun.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 12:05pm
Indeed VLC is good s/w, but I would never use it for gigging. Playlists are a possibility. Light use, video files, and sometimes transcoding files are it's strengths. Also highly customisable AV playback via many plugins - effects and filters if setting up the perfect AV experience is your thing. Even then there may be better.

You can right click a file and select add to VLC playlist to stop it launching a new instance of the software.

Best modern media player is probably foobar as recommended. My favourite was always Winamp classic but it doesn't play so well with modern versions of windows.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

Well guys I ran a Norton full system scan. It found and dealt with16 threats. Been playing WMP for over 5 hours and things still cool. No distortion. I couldn't get on with VLC. Every time I tried to add extra tracks to my playlist it just kept launching a new instance of VLC. Probably a simple setting but haven't got the patience to look for it.

Oh dear Ken, was assuming you had security all locked down..LOL

Personally don't use Windows to browse web any more, but when I did, always had Kaspersky Internet Security. Embarrassed
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 6:45pm
Thanks guys. Lev I thought my security was tight. My Norton is always on and checks every new programs downloaded and tells me wether they are safe or not. Also it quick  scans at least twice a day. So not sure how the 16 threats got in. But the full scan dealt with them so all good.
Tuen, some very good advice and plenty of food for thought.
odc0r4 I thought I made it clear that this was just lazy listening at home. Would never use WMP or VLC for gigging. The right mouse click and add to VLC playlist was precisely what I was doing.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 7:08pm
When Norton is due for renewal go to: http://www.eset.co.uk/
It's everything, not everythink!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

Thanks guys. Lev I thought my security was tight. My Norton is always on and checks every new programs downloaded and tells me wether they are safe or not. Also it quick  scans at least twice a day. So not sure how the 16 threats got in. But the full scan dealt with them so all good.
Tuen, some very good advice and plenty of food for thought.
odc0r4 I thought I made it clear that this was just lazy listening at home. Would never use WMP or VLC for gigging. The right mouse click and add to VLC playlist was precisely what I was doing.

Sorry, wasn't paying enough attention to what you wrote before.

You probably got nasties via javascript/browser exploits. I'd bet it is the most common method of infection going these days. Keep everything up to data including flash/java plugins and consider maybe using noscript as a browser addon perhaps.

No idea why the right click + play in VLC/add file is not behaving for you unless something has changed in the latest release.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Sorry, wasn't paying enough attention to what you wrote before.

You probably got nasties via javascript/browser exploits. I'd bet it is the most common method of infection going these days. Keep everything up to data including flash/java plugins and consider maybe using noscript as a browser addon perhaps.

Noscript is my fav FF plugin of all time.

Is only reason I still use FF over Chrome.

That and the phone home privacy shenanigans.

Edited by levyte357- - 29 November 2016 at 8:54pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12