Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winding 2 cranks, same direction simultane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Dc motors wont raise it evenly. But some stepper motors will, they'd need gearing tho. 

Doesn't need evenly... just slow and smoothly.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Dc motors wont raise it evenly. But some stepper motors will, they'd need gearing tho. 

In that case windscreen motors isnt a bad call. The most expensive component would probbably the reverse polarity switch to reverse direction. Found these extremely expensive for what they are. 

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 02 November 2017 at 1:19pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 1:23pm
Torque all down to gearing. Will need gearing. For every kg you need 0.1n/m of torque minimum generally on a screw or rack lift. 

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 02 November 2017 at 1:24pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

In that case windscreen motors isnt a bad call. The most expensive component would probbably the reverse polarity switch to reverse direction. Found these extremely expensive for what they are. 

Ok, but the window motor has all the gears in place ready to hook up... two long cables on two separate hand held buttons so you can control the rate at which the sides go up and at the end of the night turn the battery around and bring it down again. It's the most simplified thing I can think of.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 2:21pm
A wiper motor also has all the gearing required and is significantly larger than a window winder motor.

Edited by APW - 02 November 2017 at 2:24pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 3:29pm
is a good suggestion aWindscreen wiper motor would stand more of a chance at lifting any kind of weight. a window motor is part of a slider mechanism that generates alot of the torque that lifts the window.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Just use truss adaptors that allow the truss to move in them (e.g. not clamp down half couplers), or get the hinged ones.
You can move each side a reasonable way then before moving to the other side.
Much simpler/easier than what you seem to be wanting.

Just do this, making a mountain out of a molehill really…
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 4:03pm
Hi guys.

I have sorted it out, I was watching an old cowboy film and was inspired by the old levers on the locamotive train wheels.

With the stands about 2 meters apart with the original crank handles facing forward, i put some clamps on the breaks on the stands, then I drilled two holes in a 2m plank the size of the handles and managed to raise both sides up without too much difficulty, using a sort of rotary bench press technique.

I will investigate the electrification process further though. Thanks for all the advice.

Kev
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:07pm
FWIW, I use a pair of Easyhoists with hinged truss adaptors or, quite often, hinged big bens for this sort of thing. 2 x 2m lengths of alli scaf with stands 1m in from each end. Total weight close to 60Kg, UDL which is the SWL of a single Easyhoist. Might have to walk a 2 meters a few times..... 
Down with signatures!
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by kevin tyler kevin tyler wrote:

rs apart with the original crank handles facing forward, i put some clamps on the breaks on the stands, then I drilled two holes in a 2m plank the size of the handles and managed to raise both sides up without too much difficulty, using a sort of rotary bench press technique.

I like this thinking (im thankful that I have someone to wind mine up... though she doesnt always match the speed Cry ) the only thing that worries me, is that this assumes every setup is 2 meters (unless you play the same place in which case... its not a problem)

Edit.... just thought, I wonder if an extendable pole would work (shower pole or even fishing), that way if its not 2m you can extend / reduce to suit

Edited by IainB - 02 November 2017 at 5:24pm
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:28pm
Or you could drill more than one hole at each end.....
Down with signatures!
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 8:07pm
Yes good points guys.

It’s early days right now, obviously in an empty gig you can walk 2 or 3 meters and wind up six inches and then go back and repeat, unfortunately in real life you set your gear up against the back wall during the day but can’t raise it up because the fixtures are blocking the telly etc, so you go back later and ten lads who have been on the ale all day have put a couple of tables in front of your stands and are not moving for anyone, and so yes your right about me making a mountain of a mole hill, but it’s all molehills at the dog and duck sometimes, if I had a pound for the amount of time the drunks block the doors when you are trying to hump your gear in and then ask is that heavy mate etc, so I just try to make stuff as idiot proof and stress proof as possible.

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>