Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winding inductor coils.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winding inductor coils.
    Posted: 14 August 2020 at 12:38am
I bought a manual coil winder. It seems to work fine, other than the coils don't turn out particularly neat.

The first few layers are fine but it tends to get untidy toward the end of the process.

a). Anyone have any tips for improvements?

b). Does it actually matter if the coil is untidy?
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2020 at 8:34am
If it's for crossover inductors, it's not going to worry the accuracy of the crossover frequencies too much, but in a speaker I'd be worried about the windings lapping over one another in case vibration causes them to chomp through the enamel in time and go short
Kevin

North Staffordshire

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2020 at 3:29pm
I have one too. Getting the tension of the wire just right is the key. Really that means buying or building a good tensioner, if there isn't one on your machine. I messed around with various MacGuyver inventions but they weren't really doing the thing. It needs to be capable of fine adjustments and consistency.

When the tension is right, the layers should go on nice and even. Too much and the current layer will sink into the previous one because it's being pulled too hard, too little and the same thing will happen because the previous layer isn't tight enough.

Using the proper varnish is also a good idea - thin it a little with alcohol, and brush some onto each layer as you go. Then you're supposed to bake it out in a low oven (90 deg C) till totally cured, although if you just leave it under tension overnight at room temp it should set up nicely. Then, even if the coil is slightly uneven you won't have problems with vibration. 

Even a totally randomly wound coil will work OK in a crossover, but at the expense of higher DCR and lower Q than a neatly wound coil.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply