Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows to Mac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by dunc dunc wrote:

An XP partition on an Imac (or any other mac) runs no slower than it would than on an ordinary PC system. In some cases, I have found that Apple hardware actually is BETTER than PC stuff. If you use Parallels or similar software to run windows applications within the Mac OS, High graphics requirements in software can be an issue, as the drivers are all virtual (and thus take up processing space and RAM). 

In terms of buying software on mac, it is generally a lot cheaper to buy mac versions, and if you are so interested, there is just as much cracked software around for mac as there is PC, albeit a little harder to get ahold of. I know there is Logic Pro out there with all the packs etc etc available, Reason 4 and many others so do have a look around, unless you prefer legitimate versions. 

If you know any students around you, slip em some cash and get them to order the mac for you (as long as you can trust them) as you will get 14% off an Imac which is like roughly 500 dollars (rough headsums) which will give you a bit more leeway. 

If you have any more questions, feel free to bombard me with em and ill see if I can help

HTH

Dunc

I'm a student so I can get 5% off, thats what i was told I'm legible to get get reduced. Its nothing special but anyways. In terms of parallel and fusion, they might not serve me right as I do 3D rendering and takes up a heck of a lot of power.
I do have discounts on adobe products (which i mostly use), say from Adobe suite that costs 1500dollars, i can get for 300. But in any case, you are right, there are some places to get cracked versions IF, i find them a little to expensive for my needs.
system:

20 x MA W8L
12 x MA W8LC
12 x MA W8LM
20 x MA S-218
8 x D.A.S. ST-112
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 9:59pm
TBH, why you wouldn't run 3 pc is very simple the 27" monitor on the mac is STONKING, one of those for a PC would cost a few quid....

OS-X is now obsolete and wise people are running windows 7, so the question is why bother with a tier 3 OS at all, the graphics card in a iMac is pretty shocking but TBH, unless you play games (get an Xbox or PS whatever) or run heavy duty CAD or 3D software (which the CPU isn't upto really anways) it is more than fast enough for Photoshop and the like..

Mac hardware makes for a great windows box, if I had the cash I would have a Win7Book pro tommorrow.

VMware is not going work as an option for CS4, it is not really what is what meant for, BootCamp will be perfect, there is even an app that lets you image your Win Drive from OSX so you can keep a "ghost" image as a backup in case windows screws up!! (there, a use for Snow Lep, I knew there was one!!!)

S
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:15pm
How is OS X 'obsolete'? Show me another, equally well refined *nix based operating system before you make such sweeping statements.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:38pm

Centos, Debian, any nix offering really, OS X no longer offers anything that Windows doesn't and in many way offers alot less.

I accept it may be great as a standalone desktop OS for lo-demand users but the days of Macs dominating Graphics, Music and Video are over. They more longer offer top-of-line power and post Power PC the stability is not what it used to be.
As a network client OS-X sucks, I can't even get entourage stable enough to use on Intel boxes and we are reduced to Mac Mail as an email client which, is pants.
Snow Lep seems to need more memroy than Windows to run Adobe Suite (which some acheivement....)
and the nigh on total lack of security of OS X is a bit of a worry, it took me 60 secs to bypass an admin password the other day with no hacking tools, no second machine to mount the hdd, just a couple of key presses.
The hardware is great looking, extremely well thought out and well put together but the OS isn't the leauge ahead that it used to be I am afraid.
So there is the basis for my sweeping statement, if the guy has PC and has bought his PC apps (because I am sure no one on this forum uses dodgy apps) and has just got a spanking new 27" iMac I would say asign most of the HDD to Windows (xp or 7, obviously) load up and go for it.
OS X can sit there and if he want to do Mac stuff then re-boot but porting over to an OS that no longer offers any advantage over Windows seems a lot of greif and cash for no advantage when he can enjoy a great machine with an OS he knows how to work....
Smile
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 2:29am
If you were actually wasting your efforts trying to work the doggy poopile that is Entourage I think you've said enough about your focus in computing; I can't be bothered to argue with people who've already made up their minds.

However, I'd suggest that the OP try OS X out for himself, via trials of the Mac versions of his favourite software for a month and make his own mind up.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 2:44am

Prob I have is there is only entorage as an viable exchange client, and this is where OS X lands fact on its ass, exchange is a very powerfull solution, team with a blackberry enterprise server it makes for a really effective managable solution.

I agree, entourage it pure doggy poo, outlook for OS 9 workes great, and to a point I would say if you can aviod any thing branded Microsoft your Mac Life will be happier. Prob is businesses use Microsoft, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are the defacto apps for business and being compatable with your customer base is paramount...

But any advise on an alturnative (HTML capable) email client would be much appreciated as my current plan is to simple bin off the Mac Pros as they reach end of life and use high-powered PCs. Then I just have the laptops to deal with.....

As far making my mind up, I have concluded, with information availiable, that the software just doesn't bloody work. The Dual Power PC machine, BTW, rock, and not alot slower than the Twin Dual Core Pros...

Everyone raves about Mac, I just can't seem to find a Mac user that can make them work on a network...

:-)

S

The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 3:12am
I use an Exchange server daily, via OS X, since SL launched. It handles my 45,000 deep inbox with ease via built in ActiveSync far better than Entourage ever could, and half of the office are insanely jealous of how quickly I can search for a particular message from years back due to Spotlight's indexing.

In fact, since SL, OS X is even a pretty well behaved AD citizen. And there's no denying that Mail.app and iCal are a very capabale combination, when used properly.

Likewise, my Mac connects to a variety of SMB, NFS and other shares constantly and has absolutely no issues communicating with either. I guess that's what you get when you work for a company that actually has networking and knowledge as it's core business, but then I also used a ZFS Solaris server as a permanent mount for music storage for a while and never really had any problems.

Perhaps it's just the way you're using them? You could hold out for the new version of Outlook I guess, since you seem to be in the Microsoft love-in vibe.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 3:26am
TBH I have no love of MS, I think their products are generally overpriced and under-tested at point of market entry, but that said, Word and excel are core business apps and as such a must. The issue I have with mail is that it won't send as HTML and the disclaimer software we use gives me a lot more options with HTML mail than rich Text.
I have coonstant issues with SL loosing AD privelidges on SMB shares which involves re-booting the Mac (which PC users do 4 times a day when it crashes, another great feature of Windows) which takes 10 mins because all the guys in the Studio have all their apps load on start-up as Macs can actually manage memory this works well but not when they get locked off of shares. I have even tried restarting services on the  servers but only a client reboot (or I guess, log off, log on, not diff OS X shutdown so quick) seems to let them back in.

Antivirus is another pain as I don't have a centrally managed client for OS X and filemaker is a load quicker ona PC than a Mac which annoys the doggy poo out of me as it was a Mac product that is now cross platform...

So I akinda say as I see, no love of either really just Like Mac hardware and the MS rest-of-world compatability vibe....

Currently trying to jail break and old iPhone 3G with little or no sucess under OS X gonna reboot to XP and see if the WinDoze tools work any better...

Smile
djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 10:03pm
mmm, interesting.
system:

20 x MA W8L
12 x MA W8LC
12 x MA W8LM
20 x MA S-218
8 x D.A.S. ST-112
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12