Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wireless mic recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wireless mic recommendations
    Posted: 28 July 2019 at 12:52pm
Hiya

I want to get a wireless mic. I’m a mobile DJ and have a wired Shure mic that’s about 17 years old and has served me very well, but with the month of charity/corporate gigs coming up I think it’s time I bit the bullet and got a wireless one. It just looks more professional, even if, personally, I don’t move more than 2m from my mixer. I’m not singing through it; it’s for speeches and stuff. 

I’ve been looking at the Shure GLXD/SM58 and like the rechargeable battery system, but have some reservations about using the wi-fi frequency band. The kit is about £400 and I’m happy to spend that amount. 

Any recommendations gratefully received
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 3:09pm
If you shop around and find the right deals UHF-R can be had at very sensible pricing now.

My simple single handheld systems are UR4S With UR2 sticks. This little setup can be had for around £600

K4E is where you want to be frequency wise or J5. Both these bands cover the channel 38 band.

IMHO forget Ch70 or 2.4gh, even channel 38 is a minefield. Put it like this. If it’s a corporate or high end show I buy frequency’s else where in the TV band.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

My simple single handheld systems are UR4S With UR2 sticks. This little setup can be had for around £600

That sounds the sort of thing I’m after, but I can’t find it for sale anywhere under a grand for the receiver, plus £600 for the mic from the US
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 9:10pm
For your needs the Sennheiser EW 100 G4-845-S pack would be absolutely fine.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

For your needs the Sennheiser EW 100 G4-845-S pack would be absolutely fine.

👍
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 10:09pm
never had a problem with channel 70 uhf mics
JTS are my favoured brand i have 9 dual/single units  ,sold my audio techica,beyerdynamic and sennheiser sytems as the jts are more than a match
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 9:25am

CH70 IS problematic in some built up areas due to overcrowding; I moved to CH38 about 4 years ago and have not had any issues since, CH38 is fine for general use.... However for high profile events I hire in a mic that requires a co-ordinated licence, I factor in the hire and licence cost when quoting for the event.

As for JTS, I have two ch70 sets, one (the older set) has been OK, and the other has been nothing but trouble, it has been back to JTS several times and still has issues so it sits on the shelf gathering dust!!. I also have a couple of JTS handhelds that have been excellent value for money and preform very well.

Edited by APW - 29 July 2019 at 9:38am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 9:35am
Is the JTS stuff digital? Can you get 7 channels in channel 70 legally?

www.stage2sound.com
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 9:51am

Never looked at digital systems all my jts are uhf, and realisticly you can run 4 mics in channel 70 without a problem though I've managed 6 one night ,but hard to tell if there was any bleed through as it was a group singing, and seen as the op is a dj he won't be needing that many either 
I've been using jts for 6 years and only had 1 capsule failure after it was thrown across the room,promptly followed by the singer by me
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by krazyneil krazyneil wrote:

Never looked at digital systems all my jts are uhf, and realisticly you can run 4 mics in channel 70 without a problem though I've managed 6 one night ,but hard to tell if there was any bleed through as it was a group singing, and seen as the op is a dj he won't be needing that many either 
I've been using jts for 6 years and only had 1 capsule failure after it was thrown across the room,promptly followed by the singer by me

I’ve never used JTS so interesting to hear people’s opinions.

www.stage2sound.com
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 10:33am
We used top of the range Shure and Sennheiser radio mics for years from the seventies, Sennheisers with the stubby aerial sticking out of the mic itself and Shures with hanging dangly wires up to all of the later top of range mics from most of the major manufacturers and never found any problems with any of them.
A few years ago we bought out a little one man band PA hire company based up north and the guy had some serious gear in his stacks, racks and FOH gear along with the usual mix of decent quality mics.
Amongst his flightcased mic kit were a complete set of JTS drum mics and a four way JTS radio mic system which sat on a storage shelf for a couple of years after we sold on all the decent "name" mics to get some money back.
We then had an extremely busy summer hire scenario with quite a few clashing outdoor gigs where we could just about scrape an extra rig together with spare gear that we had sitting there that, so that is what we did using four stacks of tatty carpet covered MK1 OHM TRS 218/212 which we tidied up a bit to be quite presentable.
Being the boss, I volunteered to take out this scratch system which included all of the JTS mics mentioned above and to be honest, the rig sounded really good with an excellent foldback sound and all the acts were really chuffed with their sound and I was really pleased with the decent sound of the JTS mics as well and they were used on multiple shows that summer--all with a decent sound---and never had a single moan off anyone during the process.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 10:42am
Yeah, 

Avoid anything that runs on 2.4ghz. Wifi space is becoming more and more crowed and even running ipads for desk control is becoming problematic these days. Always the same story, it works fine at soundcheck or rehearsal, then the audience arrive with their mobiles filling up the 2.4gig space and it all goes to shit. 

And the problem with this is that Shure in particular seem to have moved all of their budget, and even some of their mid range models, to this. Come across SO many local bands, wedding bands, tribute acts etc that buy this stuff not knowing about the frequencies and can't work out why its so unreliable.

So as Kyle says, Sennheiser ew-100 is probably your best bet if you want to stick to a big name brand, still runs on UHF channels. There are also good models from JTS and MiPro that are a cut above the cheap stuff and great value for money. 

In terms of frequencies, while you CAN use channel 70 and get away with it most of the time (the "free" frequencies 863-865MHZ) like 2.4ghz it can be full of interference at times and it's such a small band of frequencies that you often don't have any room to maneuver if that is the case. 

While moving to channel 38 (606-614MHz) does mean you need to pay an annual licence of £80 or so to OFCOM for a shared frequency licence, it's well worth the money and means you know it'll work every time, and that if there is any interference on the channel you're on you've plenty of room to retune. 

K
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>