Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring Speakons in Parallel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring Speakons in Parallel
    Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:15pm

Hi,

Basically I have 2 186 horns, and an amp. I am going to run the horns parralel, bridged off the amp all running at 4r.
I have read up and understand this bit, the next bit baffling me is how to physically wire up speakons into parallel. I understand that I need two speakon connectors per cab, but what I need info on is how to wire it internally/externally.

Any help much appreciated, diagrams would be VERY much appreciated Smile

cheers!
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:31pm
I can't be bothered to draw a diagram but it's easy. Instructions are per cab.

You need a pair (one red and one black) of short wires (15cm or so - depends on Speakon spacing) and a pair of long wires (50cm or so, depends on distance from Speakons to driver terminals). I use 4mm^2 wire because I can make a neat job of getting 2 x 4mm^2 wires on a Speakon terminal. Others may find 2.5mm^2 easier. It's a good idea to put heatshrink over the individual terminals or insulation tape at a bare minimum.

Take the first Speakon socket and solder a short and a long red wire to 1+ and a short and a long black wire to 1-.

Take the second Speakon and solder the other ends of the short wires to the same terminals, ie. red to 1+ and black to 1-.

The other ends of the long wires go to the driver terminals.

Feel free to substitute wire colours. Red/black and brown/blue are common conventions. Mine happen to be yellow/blue, as I had access to about 2000m of each in 4mm equipment wire at the time.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
drivebycar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:47pm
wicked, cheers for that.

So if i do every cab like that, then if i want to run them parralel i can just go amp to speakon one, speakon two to second cab speakon one etc

Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:59pm
Yeah, that's right. Unless you're going to the nth degree, it doesn't matter which of the two Speakons you use for the input or output. There are other things which will matter far more.

Incidentally, what amp are you using? Is it capable of being bridged into a 4 ohm load?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 1:03pm
Im using a peavey 2.6 to run 2 pd186's. So am i right in thinking if i run them in parralel with the 8ohm drivers they will be at 4r, and the amp can run bridged at 4r as well?
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 1:32pm
I can't get the Peavey website to work at the moment, so I can't say whether that amp will cope or not.

If you parallel up the speakers, you'll end up with a single 4 ohm load. When you bridge an amp, each channel sees half of that load, so each channel is effectively driving into 2 ohms. Unless the amp is rated at 2 ohm stereo / 4 ohm bridge mono, it won't last long!

I'll try and get on the Peavey website again later to give you a better answer.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 1:55pm
it wont last long, i used to have a few of these, dont bridge them into 4 ohms, it just thermals realy quickly to be honest, I killed all of mine rapidly!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 2:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 2:14pm
what amp should I go for in that case? I was only going to get the peavey coz it was on the cheap Tongue
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:07pm
The only "2.6" amp I can find info for on the Peavey website is the 2.6C which only does 130W into 4 ohms - I assume this isn't the one you've got or are looking at buying?!

It all depends how much money you want to spend, but something like a second hand Crown Macro-Tech 2400 will do 2400W (or thereabouts) into 4 ohms bridged. Or a Crown K2 (I've got a couple, each one bridged into a pair of 8 ohm bins). Or there's the Matrix XP3000, which will do 1000W per channel into 8 ohms, so you could run a bin off each side of it (albeit with a bit less power output).

I'm sure other people will suggest other amps but those are some I own or use regularly, which I know will do the job!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:35pm

cheers for the input mate. Its a pv2.6 2600w i was tlaking about.

I dont really have the budget for crown as much as I would like them! I was looking for more reasonably priced but still decent amps. Maybe something along the line of matrix or something?

Ive got a budget of probably up to £300, maybe a bit more at a push.
rich21 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:45pm
dont forget to link out the 2+ & 2- as well  you never know when you will need it
( i often run bass down the pins 1 and mid-hi down pins 2)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>