Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wiring this way okay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wiring this way okay?
    Posted: 11 February 2020 at 9:05pm
For my 12v system im using a head unit and car amp to power the speakers.
Just checking it would be fine to wire it this way. I dont see why not? Im making a box to mount the amp and head unit in so would be easier wiring like this if its safe to! Rem = remote on 

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 February 2020 at 9:16pm
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 9:57pm
Should be OK... don't forget fuses though!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Should be OK... don't forget fuses though!

The amp wiring kit comes with a inline fuse which i would fit too which goes on the positive cable to the battery.

Would i need other fuses? If so where/what size/style please? 

I wont be running any speakers off the head unit. The speakers and sub will be off the amp.

Edited by Jack1991 - 12 February 2020 at 9:13am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 9:12am
I wont be running any speakers off the head unit. The speakers and sub will be off the amp.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 9:24am
Just an inline fuse will be fine.  
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Just an inline fuse will be fine.  

Thanks mate so i dont need a inline fuse on the head unit positive (the one going to the amp) aswell as the amps inline fuse?

Sorry i need specifics because im new and dont want to mess up

Edited by Jack1991 - 12 February 2020 at 11:22am
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 12:03pm
should be fine, the HU will have a ~10amp fuse in the back of it.

Long as there's a post battery fuse, or in a fault/short situation the full capacity of that battery could be dumped somewhere it shouldn't = fire & injury (or the battery exploding on a real bad day)
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 12:31pm
Cool okay thank you. 
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

should be fine, the HU will have a ~10amp fuse in the back of it.

Long as there's a post battery fuse, or in a fault/short situation the full capacity of that battery could be dumped somewhere it shouldn't = fire & injury (or the battery exploding on a real bad day)

Id want a fuse as close to the battery terminal as possible. relying on the equipments internal fuses offers no protection in case of damage to the supply cable.

whilst it possibly seems ott, its is a plausible danger. Actual real life, yes it did actually happen, example below:

A friends car burst into flame outside his house (nearly took the house with it). it was a taxi and the mate that had installed his taxi meter for him had tapped the supply directly from the battery. there was an inline fuse but it was quite far downstream. the positive cable became chafed over time and shorted against the chassis. cue dead short with no protection and goodbye car

LOUDER THAN LOUD
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 6:08pm
right ok so this was would be 100% then? I dont need or should have anything else to add? The inline fuse would be the one supplied with the amplifier wiring kit. And be fitted within 1ft of the battery

This is NOT in a car by the way. Its just going to be a off grid 12v sound system. 

Edited by Jack1991 - 12 February 2020 at 6:43pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

Id want a fuse as close to the battery terminal as possible. relying on the equipments internal fuses offers no protection in case of damage to the supply cable.

As his diagram, the hu internal fuses are downstream of the inline fuse which,  as you rightly point out, would ideally be close to the battery. Its also good practice to check all the cable routing to identify potential chaffing and protect the cable where needed. 
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

right ok so this was would be 100% then? I dont need or should have anything else to add? The inline fuse would be the one supplied with the amplifier wiring kit. And be fitted within 1ft of the battery

This is NOT in a car by the way. Its just going to be a off grid 12v sound system. 

So to clarify this way would be 100% fine? If not someone please let me know what i would need to do
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>