Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WOODWORKING CHALLENGES OF THE MT 122

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOODWORKING CHALLENGES OF THE MT 122
    Posted: 27 October 2004 at 12:55pm

Would appreciate if anyone could provide more details on the slanted parts of the horn sides for the 12" drivers. The compound angles look very intimidating.

Any tips would be welcomed.

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 12:19am
I thinking about building a pair of single mt122 horns, i recon it would be easyer if you made the cab 24mm taller and finished the top and bottom peaces to to some edging round the frount.  This way you wouldent have to cut the really sharp angle on the bottom peace. 
Mal X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 8:50am
don't cut the angles on the front of the horn, use a power planner and take of fine shavings until you get the right wafer thin edge. This is what i did with all my MT122's.
Mal, how loud was that!!!!!!
MIKEY SOUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 12:48pm

Hi Timebomb & Mal X: Thanks for reply.

What about assembly sequence? It appears that some jigs would help on this project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 1:07pm

Hey Mal X: What about grilles for the mt 122 ? Did you just use straight face perforated metal sheeting or did you get it customed rolled with a slight curve to resist squashing?

Since the top and bottom of the horn for the 12" have a razor sharp front edge , did you have to attach a batten to fasten the grille in this area ?

Would love to hear from anyone who has tackled the MT 122 and survived ?

roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 3:52pm
Something i've done (like timebombs suggestion) is to extend the top & bottom pieces to the front of the cab & only do small bit of the sharp mitre (so you only go a few milli's into the wood.)
You then end up with a well beefy looking cab & if you stopped it a cm further in, have a mounting for a grille too (i think they look too awesome to hide the innards though!)
Otherwise as mal x posted a power plane is the way to go, the carbide tips last for years too (as long as you dont plane down too many wood screws!)

cheers
Rob
What I cannot create, I do not understand
Mal X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2004 at 9:38pm
mine don't have grills as i usually stack them so high that people can't get to them, plus i love being able to see the driver.

As far as build sequence make the horn and the baffle first then build a box around them much easier.

Here's two i made earlier

Mal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 2:49am

Hey Roborg: I do appreciate your input.

Mal X : Great photo and tips.

As far as grilles are concerned, I was thinking of the rude bwoys that love to fling beer bottles.

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 9:18am
The rude geeza that flings a botttle into my Mid-horn would find his head in the Midhorn in short order along with a mic for the appropriate feedback.

Martin

PS: nice build.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 9:31am

Mal X.

Very nice work

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Mal X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 9:43am
Thanks very much they took me long enough!!!

Unless the rude boy manages to fling that beer bottle in a javelin style (like a dart) then it will not hit the driver.

But in saying this i am looking at sorting out some grills for these cabs, just to stop stuff falling in to them when they are sitting on their backs.

Cheers Mal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2004 at 12:45pm

Hey Mal X: perhaps you could get a tailor/upholster to make up a bag with zipper to cover your cabinet. I got some made for some Tannoy tops I have. Just went to a fabric store and got some strong cloth and then went straight to my neighbourhood tailor. The Tannoys are trapezoidal. The tailor did a very good job.

I recall reading about an outdoor reggae concert in rural Jamaica in the later 80's or early 90's when the slated star performers didn't turn up. The restive crowd rushed the gate for refunds only to be told that the promoter had already scampered off with the admission receipts. The angry massives then turned their wrath on the P.A. system using machetes, stones and anything handy to completely trash the system. I seem to recall that veteran rapper Peter Metro was one of the promoters. He had to beat a hasy retreat from the scene. I get more than a few chuckles when I try to picture the chaotic scene in my mind.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>