Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WOULD THIS WORK?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOULD THIS WORK?
    Posted: 09 February 2006 at 4:55pm

first time im gona make mid/hi cabs

thinking of replacing the original P-Audio 15'' with the new Precision devices PDN-15SB40 and the 1'' comp driver with the Precision devices COMP PDC14

XM15 builders your input would be very appeciated

PS im moving from EV ZX4's 400rms -is it worth it?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 5:57pm
Sounds good to me.  Obviously check the cabinet tuning in WinISD or equiv.  If you're going to use a 1.4" CD the 18Sound elyptical horn is likely to sound very nice indeed if the 1" version is anything to go by.  If I build any more I'll probably upgrade to a 1.4" CD from a 1", as nice as they sound at the moment.  What are you planning to do for a crossover?  If you're going passive you'll probably need to design your own but it's not that difficult and help is available.

I'd recommend playing with the cab design a little.  The stock XM15 is ok but I think it can be improved on.  Both Dom and I have built our own version (I used a variation on Doms design) to make a nicer shaped cab.  Use 15mm ply as it's a little lighter than 18mm but you don't loose much strength.  Brace any large panels, the one between the 15" and the horn on the baffle is definitely a good idea.

Hope this helps. Any more questions fire away....
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 6:13pm
Yeah, i'd say the X15 has moved on now and i'd be looking at one of the variants if i was to get any more, purely from a size/managability perspective
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 6:35pm

im looking to replicate this cab-its made by EV, looks very similar to the XM15 using the PD drivers listed above- USing these 2 drivers do you think i can buy a decent crossover off the shelf?

cheers for your help

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 6:39pm
The problem with passive crossovers is that they have to be designed for specific driver selections.  There is really no such thing as a generic passive crossover.  Any one you buy will be a compromise.  They also don't usually include such things as impedance compensation which are again driver specific.

You should be able to recreate that box ok, can you get your hands on one to play with?  Any particular reason though?  You can probably make something a little smaller and lighter without loosing much if anything in terms of performance.
Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 6:46pm

im after that style of cab as im using Ev cabs for the bottom end (T18s loaded with PD 186) so really had a thing about EV boxes and PD drivers,

As i have never built a Mid/top cab before i am khinda clueless about the passive crossover -i thought u just buy one off the shelf and chuck it in (within reason)

so any advise would be great on where too startThumbs Up

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 7:11pm
Download the spreadsheet from that link.  That'll give you the tools to calculate your crossover.  Somewhere I found a really good explanation of passive crossovers including worked examples but I can't remember the site.  Guess you're going to have to hit google for pages to read, the info is out there!

I've just realised that box looks very much like a Deltamax or updated version thereof.  Not in the same colour scheme I'm used to but the more I look at it, the more I think it must be.  Using EV components they are fecking heavy but do sound quite nice.  DL15X and DH1A run with a dedicated active controller.

I suggest go with that shape but make it as small as possible. The horn you use isn't likely to be as high as the EV one.  I'd guess that the PD neo driver won't want a massive cabinet volume either, 50-60L would probably be enough.  Unless you intend to use them full range regularly, you might as well tune the reflex loading a bit higher (60-75Hz or maybe even more) and gain a bit more midband efficiency.
Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2006 at 5:46pm

thanks for your help,

do u know of any company/business/person who can build be passive crossovers if i told him what drivers i was going to useConfused

unclejam View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 7:11pm
yeah mate me cept im in the us
 Post Reply Post Reply