Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 orientation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 orientation
    Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:28pm

I know there has been many threads on this so sorry to bring it up again! I have trawled through the entire X1 forum looking for this answer and although the answer is always "both ports on the floor" no explanation is ever provided, just he said so...

My dilemma is the Rig that I want to build them for is very different in size to the standard X1. I have looked at fudging it about a bit to fit the footprint of my Kick bins, but to achieve a decent height of the mid tops, the X1 would have to be on its side (port at bottom and top).

The lower tuned port would be on the floor and the higher tuned port would couple with the horn mouth of the kick bin.

How much is this likely to affect the overall sound if I was to do this?

Cheers
Jim

Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 10:27pm
Anyone else used an x1 like this?

If its a definite no no I will have to look at another design that will better suit my system for stacking.
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 10:56pm
Are you just after more height?
You could put them on a riser or pallet.
Another option is to make a frame to put between the X1's and kick bins
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 10:56pm
The only times iv heard X1s were when they were set up like this...

sounded pretty good but haven't heard them set up the other way to compare...
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

Are you just after more height?
You could put them on a riser or pallet.
Another option is to make a frame to put between the X1's and kick bins

Just want it to be a nice tidy 3 box stack without the need to cart extra risers or boxes about. I can adjust the size of the X1 to match my Kick bin (yes it is a large one). This would make for perfect stacking height, but means both the x1's ports will not be on the floor.

Just wanted to gauge peoples opinions or experiences with using the x1 like that. If it doesn't make much difference then great!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 11:23pm
hey

the reason both ports go on the floor is that the floor acts as one wall of the port and virtually extends them a little, same way as a horn, and so it goes a little deeper when both are on the floor together.   (look up "end correction")

However you can always change the size of the box to suit your needs. just like a reflex sub, the actual shape of a bandpass doesn't really matter as long as the overall volume of each chamber and the tunings of the ports stay the same.

So work out roughly what new shape you want it, and where the divider will be to keep the same volumes in each chamber, then use winISD or Bass Box Pro to make sure you get the size/length of the ports to the right tuning and your laughing.

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 15 May 2011 at 11:24pm
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 11:43pm
Thanks Kevin, I have already knocked up a rough sketch and been playing with winisd. The entire volume of the x1 is almost identical to my martin F1b kick bins, so its relatively easy to fudge it slightly to match up. But like I was saying because of the way the existing rig stacks, both ports wont be at the bottom.

It'll work but wont extend as deep or as far? hmmmm

If you can picture the x1 being the same size as the bottom cabs.....cant imagine the ports being on the left and right of a cab stacked like that, they would be as thin as a rake and probably suffer from port noise.

sorry if i'm not explaing things very well!
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Adam_Iron_Horse Adam_Iron_Horse wrote:

The only times iv heard X1s were when they were set up like this...

sounded pretty good but haven't heard them set up the other way to compare...

Cheers Adam, I'm prob going to take the plunge. Just didn't want to part with £600-£700 and not get the sound i'm trying to achieve, allways good to check. I have a feeling it will work just fine though.

Edited by Jimmer - 15 May 2011 at 11:53pm
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 11:52pm
hey

i see what you mean.

But the ports don't have to go all the way from the bottom to the top of the cab remember.  You couls make them shorter and fatter, and only make them go say half way up, or a third of the way up.  Just use winISD and you can change the size, shape and length to whatever suits as long as obviously it fits inside (i.e. doesnt become stupidly long) and as long as it comes out at the same tuning.

k
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 12:12am
I see what you saying Kev, but not sure I want to venture down that road, due to causing other potential problems with the design. X1 is proven as it is.

From what I can gather then, the rear chamber port would benefit more from having the whole port on the floor. I may well get away with the front chamber port not being on the floor, by the old martin audio overlapping crossover techniques of the mx4 analogue crossovers.

Theres only one way to find out I guess.......

anyone want to lend us some x1's LOL
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 12:26am
I reckon just go for it, stick the lower tuned port on the floor.  The difference the orientation will make won't be huge, especially once the cab is part of a stack.

However, if you had more F1B's (which is a good idea Wink) then one X1 on it's side (ports to the left and right) with two F1B's sideways on top would give a pretty perfect stacking height.
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 12:46am
I am actively looking for another pair of F1b's, although I don't hold a great deal of hope to be honest. Rarer than the proverbial rocking horse doo dah!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>