Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 orientation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:19am
There's always the 184 sub, close to the X1 response but tall rather than wide..
I think I'm in love with your mum.
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:31am
I did notice that, although it is closer in size it doesn't seem anywhere near as popular as the x1.......now there has to be a reason for this?
TechnoChef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:21am
To be fair, I haven't heard the 184 yet, but when pondering building one before I found a few rave reviews on a dubstep forum.
The response says it plays higher than the X1, so I'd assume it sacrifices some SPL for bandwidth??
Backlash, I think, had some 184s. Would be a good person to ask the question of...

I was taking the same approach as you, I wanted X1s (because they're brutal!) but wanted them tall rather than wide. I took the chamber volumes and port tunings and redesigned it to be tall (thread about it somewhere). Didn't work out unfortunately, no subbass whatsoever, just tons and tons of 60-70hz!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 12:11pm
I'm going to try to adjust the ports, if that doesn't work I'm going for MS-18s!
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:01pm
That was my concern too, the 184 plays a larger bandwidth. I would much prefer to have the higher spl to keep up with the rest of the rig. whats the ms-18s? mini staipier sccop?

If I am lucky enough to pick up another pair of F1b's then like ceharden said I could then stack them properly.

I'm going to take the plunge....watch this space! Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info guys. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:26pm
Yeah staiper's mini. Looking more tempting the more I read about it. Not really any rub-a-dub sub played on my rig, so I don't know if I'll really need X1 levels of bass. Then again they do sound ridiculously good!!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:40pm
Surely while you were re-furbing the F1B's you got your tape measure out.  Can't that difficult to build another pair?
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:01pm
One of the most difficult cabs to get dimensions from. Just couldn't get my head into the horn far enough! the sketch up I did relied heavily on measurements taken with a camera. When I put it onto graph paper to draw it up, something just didn't look right with the phase bung.

I could build one, but thought it would be easier to restore an original. At least I knew it would be correct...
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 11:35pm
X1 is a dual bandpass box. To be certain you will be happy with such a choice depends on driver selection for the required parameters/use.

As Kevin correctly states modifying the size is ok as long as Vb and the tuning of vent 1/2 Fb is the same, then it will perform as any other X1.

Always try to keep V1/V2 coupled to the ground to aid low energy. This will be more difficult with a narrow box, but OK.
Billy Dawg.
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 12:10am
Most popular choice of drivers seem to be either void v18-1000 or PD 1850. Void's prices seem to be a little kinder on the wallet so will no doubt go down the v18 route.
I'll see how I get on with them with the stacking, If it makes that much difference i'll just flip them on their sides. time to start saving the pennies!!
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:11pm
Are there any X1 owners in the Gloucestershire/Wiltshire area that would be willing to hire me a pair for an evening? Preferably with your goodselves as well to show me exactly how good they can sound? all expenses obviously covered and a supply of coffee or beer will be available! Thumbs Up
Friss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 8:55pm
Mine are out in Bristol on Friday if you wanted to come down and listen?  It's nearly Gloucestershire Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>