Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

x1 sub with rcfl18p300?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 2:59am

19mm is dangerously close to that woofers Xmech.

Your way over xmax so it will sound terrible.

Normally music has some varied level so that you most the time the power will be 256w-512watts and only 1600watts on peaks

-Its music dependant.

Even huge horns require large xmax if your looking for 140db everywhere! Note that against a wall its probably easier to try for 2 smaller mouthed horns that add

-I bet that a horn for half space and 32hz is very difficult for you- I designed one lastweek and it was very tricky and large!

Give me a PM if you want to discuss this further

Cheers!

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 3:05am

The answer is to boycott the BS audio manufacturers and demand they use real specs and not airey fairy rubbish!

Lets do it!

-Distortion graphs a la JBL type

-DUMAX measured Xmax

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Yeah. I do. I use two in a 453.1 liter enclosure, tuned to 36 Hz, which gives me a f3 of 34 Hz.

In the states, common practice is to use the RCF L 18P 300 in reflex boxes.

Best Regards,

To clear things up. Thats a 453.1 liter (16 cubic feet) internal enclosure. The overall size of each box is 531.5 liters (18.77 cubic feet)

Elliot Thompson
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 3:21am

Normally music has some varied level so that you most the time the power will be 256w-512watts and only 1600watts on peaks

so whats the "standard" way of modelling a horn?

ie. is it NOT ok to go to xmax on the rms/pmx rating and let it go over but below xmech for peak levels?

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 4:44am

No but im saying you wont always be at full power with music-some is peaky,some isnt. some drum n bass has basslines that are just continous -with fundamentals in the 32hz-42hz range all the time!

Standard way-input RMS of amplifier and keep under xmax if you like good sound.

Remembering that its best to have a speaker moving abit too far below its Xmech,than clipping your amp.

But if your clipping your 800w RMS amplifier on a 105db/1watt horn...youl be deaf anyway

staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 10:59am

I have copied design from RCF book (suggested driver L18P300).. I have never build one so I cannot say anything about it's perpormance..

http://groups.msn.com/SpeakerBuildingpics/shoebox.msnw?actio n=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=24

Wigge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2004 at 12:37am

more sugestions?

there must be alot of plans out to rcfl18p300?

horns?

Daniel

Jez_Ultra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 10:55pm

G-Sub as on the site

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Wigge Wigge wrote:

more sugestions?

there must be alot of plans out to rcfl18p300?

horns?

Daniel

if you want a horn design il fold one if you tell me enough requirements

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 9:37pm

http://www.lsv-achenbach.de

He has a horn as well as a BR enclosure for the L18P300.

The horn does 50Hz in single, but I wouldn't call it compact.....

specialjustin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 12:55pm
Driver for that box is the l18s800
cyranotr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyranotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2006 at 8:38am
I did an X1 box choosing on purpose the worst material for it = chip board(sample) as my driver for it is a B&C 18PWB46 wich has parameters far different from recommended. Nevertheless result is as expected. I can say very good clean, articulate, low extension bass reproduction.  The diaphragm has load on both sides = transient response is good. But no 'slamm' !. But I suppose that no 'slamm' is to be connected to the design itself not to the driver inside. Do not expect 'kick' (means 80Hz-110Hz) area from this box. I do cut it at 85Hz and get almost the best controled deep bass ever (think about when cabinet will be made of plywood!!!). This subbass needs an additional BASS sub for the "kick" issue. I add for test purpose a 15" bass reflex box with...it fits! I'm about to to build the HD15 to get better output than bass reflex design. What is interesting in the x1 design is that it looks somehow like a bandbass (driver loaded on both sides) but does not sound like it. For my taste bandpass although well efficient provides always the same type of bass without 'articulation'. as you said. powww, powww, powww. The x1 can reproduce accurately an acoustic contrebass as well as a reggae electric bass guitar. And you hear the difference. Its loud, but weights differentely.
ROG in fact should tell us the change to be done according to driver or min parameters for this box to work fine. If you want I got a FFT measuring system with calibrated mic. I can send you what I got from my box (impedance, step, freq, phase).
Trust your ears...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>