Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 versus B2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 versus B2
    Posted: 14 May 2009 at 2:13am
If D&B's advertising of "bandpass horn" is ignored and B2 is treated as pure BP6 like it is, it is remarkably similar to two X1s stacked so that their front chambers are against each other.

B2 is around 620 liters big and 2x X1 are approx 740 liters together.

Now, if the brand is ignored and B2 is compared to 2x X1 purely by performance, is it really any better?
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 2:30am
No its worse. It doesn't go any lower than a JSub and would be crippled by the D12 for the application if the cabinet tuning really did allow infra operation. 2 X1's on a decent amp will blow it away.

Bare in mind how the B2 is used though. People normally sprinkle it in amongst Q, C and J subs to turn on and use later in the night for a bit of extra umph. That it does, and you can hear/feel the extra bass. But it is not infra and it will be nowhere near as low as the X1
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 2:41am
That's what I was thinking also, one really nice thing about X1 (against B2) is that it isn't tied into any DSP.
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 1:25pm
Totally, but then your typical d&b user isn't going to have anything but D12's and d&b cabs so it wouldn't be a worry to them. The whole system is a brilliant solution all things told it's just that the B2 isn't quite as good as the rest of the cabs, be they decried as DSP hocus pocus or not
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 2:05pm
Hi guys,

I thought that it would be interesting to simulate both designs to see the difference between them.

X1 x2 - Hornresponse Input Data
d&b B2 x1 - Hornresponse Input Data
d&b B2 x1 vs. X1 x2 - SPL
black = d&b B2 x1
grey = X1 x2

d&b B2 Plan

Are the simulations correct? Please tell me, if I had made a mistake!
If I made everything right, I would come to the conclusion that they are bloody similar, except the fact, that the B2 needs a little processing to get a smooth response (unless it gets stacked, cause 4 cabs have a flat response).

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 2:49pm
This is the plot on the B2 manual for the cab in infra and normal modes.

me so horny, me love you long throw.
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

This is the plot on the B2 manual for the cab in infra and normal modes.

hi biotec,
I think that the plot of the manual shows the already processed frequency response, the non-processed one would be interesting...
Do you know, if the plan I posted is correct?
greez
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 5:55pm
It's certainly the only plan floating around on the internet of the cabinet.

These cabinets are extremely reliant on matching the driver parameters to the tuning of the cab. I would take bets on having to test a lot of drivers to get one which sounds good and performs comparatively to the D&B box.

As with most D&B products there is a good chance that much of the great sound is in the processing built into their amplifiers.

I think that you would have an easier job of getting a good sound by designing the cabinet from scratch or using an established design like the X1.  If you want a cab that looks like a B2 you could just use the same external dimsions and work from there. Once the D&B style grill is on it won't matter what is behind it.

Edited by biotec - 29 June 2009 at 5:56pm
me so horny, me love you long throw.
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

As with most D&B products there is a good chance that much of the great sound is in the processing built into their amplifiers.

...very diplomatic statement!

thx for your reply, biotec!
My question was based on posts i read, somebody gave an opinion that this plan isn't the real B2 design. I only know the 3D drawing of the manual, and imho the plan is bloody similar to this drawing... Question

I know of two B&C drivers (18PZB46 replaced by 18PZB100)  that would work as well as the RCF L18S800. Other drivers would cause a bumpier frequency response and desire another tuning of the cab. But I think, that a flat response isn't the most crucial and that the cab would automaticly sound good... Question
It's not my intension to clone a d&b B2, i don't like the double vented sound of these designs.
A friend of mine had heard recently a pair of B2 subs and was very impressed of their sound pressure level. He asked me what I think of these cabs, now I do a little research...
greez

Edited by Ibex - 30 June 2009 at 9:01am
jeffbabcock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffbabcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2009 at 10:01pm
Sorry to bump an older thread.  
Forgive my ignorance, maybe this is a stupid thought..... 
If the internal dimensions shown are indeed correct, considering that the access panel on the rear of the cabinet in the B2 is in the center, then would it not be quite awkward for driver mounting?  Is it possible that the drivers might fire in the opposite direction rather than how shown in the drawing from this thread?

Anybody actually opened the rear panel in a B2?

Edited by jeffbabcock - 08 September 2009 at 10:06pm
Ben_Lawrance View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben_Lawrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 1:13am
I can confirm the plan is correct. The drivers are loaded as per the plan.
(The B2 i had open confirms this)
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 2:59am
If I had designed it, I would also have put the access panel in the middle. Easy access to both drivers with single hatch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>