Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X12’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X12’s
    Posted: 15 November 2004 at 9:25pm

Hi,

I'm just starting out in the PA world and have decided to start building up a system for outdoor events.

Since the area i need to cover is not that large i've decided to use a non-horn design and go with a set of X12's using the recommended drivers.

Could anyone here offer some insight into which bass bin would suit the X12's the best ? .. i'm guessing anything that will run 35hz -> 120hz would fit them or am i wrong ?

Also, can anyone recommend power amps less than 2kw that are cheap ? :D

thx

hektek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hektek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 9:34pm

^^^^

Same person again,  but now registered..

Forgot to add, i will be playing mostly psychadelic trance through them...

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 1:19am

Probably some HD15s

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 9:55am
Yeah, if you wanna stick with Rogs designs, the HD15 would be best. One won't be enough per X12, because you don't get the low extension. I don't think you need sometthing like the X1 below the HD15 for your music....
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 11:02am
hmm from what ive heard of psy trance its just doof doof kick...so several  HD15s should do the trick
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 1:22pm

I play psy-trance too and (as you're probably aware) the kicks tend to be engineered quite toppy with a hard click so as not to interfere with the basslines.

The subs tend to give that nice rounded rolling sound that I associate with psy-trance and without it can sound abit harsh because it all ends up as 'THOK THOK THOK'

First time i heard HD15's playing psy-trance they sounded very good but there were 8 of them.  You may want to consider a sub to go below them if you're using less.  I'd say build 4 then see if you need the subs or just build more HD15's.

The other thing I've found is that psy-trance seems to stress my sub amp more than other heavy bass music because it's more rolling and is sustained for longer periods.  With DnB it's more intense but for shorter periods

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 9:40am

Good advice.

The dnb type i listen to has extreme bass-that is like rolling sinewaves!Good for killing subs that are previously doing only kicks :-)

Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 1:03pm
I'd have to say the DNB I play sometimes ends up with just an almost continuous bass rumble.  Glad I got Subsonic filters!  I went to a club once that had only previously played poppy trance stuff and it was its first DNB night.  I don't think they realised that the sound system wouldn't cope, sounded horrible.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 1:40pm
Yeah, sorry, should have said the DnB that got played was fairly stop start, bursty bassline stuff (and 'tablists playing it too, so choppy anyway)
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
hektek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hektek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2004 at 12:19am

Thx for the info ..

So far i've priced the drivers for 2 sides @ AUD$1,792  or i can save myself $360~ and change the SD-740N's for BM D740's hmm..

Still waiting on cost of wood, got a friend that is cutting it all up for me...

now just gotta look @ suitable subs and cabs

Walla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 7:36am
i have and want to use 4x p audio sn 12bs + 2x 1" celestion comp driver,would this be the best design for these drivers. i would think so
cheers
Soulshine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soulshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 5:58pm

Everything in life has and it’s fair. Cabs like hd15 has unique characteristics and is the only way for some applications but need to be used in multiple number in order to take the best of them or need to be combined with bandpass or bass reflexed cabs. Form my point of view since you don’t want insane SPL's (only one x12 per side) I would suggest you to go for the Achenbach or some other reflexed cad which will center benefits from both of the mention above types of cabs and will easy on it’s own cover all the bandwith you want. I think that two per side would be the ideal. Besides since this will be your first system it has to be flexible enough so that you will be able to use it in various types of applications.

Thank God
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>