Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X15 Alternative bass drivers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X15 Alternative bass drivers?
    Posted: 12 November 2006 at 12:50pm
I wanted to build a bigger, louder, better PA but i cant afford it yet. Within the next 2 years maybe...

For now however, im going to upgrade from my AC Euro AC115's which are sh*te.

I'd like to build the X15 and run it 2-way active. The problem is that im a BassHead and i've heard the SN15B doesn't like playing much below 80Hz.

So whats a nice driver for the X15 that will bring the bass. I could then use a 1.4"/2.0" comp driver and cross it lower...

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joe.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 1:58pm
If you're a bass-head, surely you should be using some subs to deliver your bass rather than trying to use full-range speakers.  The problem is that if you tune the cab down to deliver more bass, you loose efficiency and power handling further up the spectrum.

Cheapest way for you to get a full-range small system is probably to use some compact/simple 15" reflex subs and some small mid-tops (eg 12"+1").  That's how I started doing small parties etc.  My old cabs are actually available for sale quite cheap as I've since upgraded.

The X15 would certainly be a step up from what you've got but I think you'll find you still need subs with them.  They're very large cabs for what they are and if you start looking at 2" compression drivers and horns then the cost is gonna go up quickly.  I think there might be better ways for you to get a basic working PA.

Edited by ceharden - 12 November 2006 at 2:03pm
SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 3:56pm
Another reason for not having seperate subs is the fact i only have the use of a Ford Mondeo to transport everything. Thats speakers, amps, decks, mixer, lights and flightcase (cables). So not gonna be much room for huge seperate subs.

My last plan was to have 2 Microscoops PD156 loaded and 2 smallish mid tops. But that wont all fit (after building a box the same dimensions as the Microscoop (its big).

How would the X15 sound with PD156's in it? Then when i'm 17 and buy a Van i can build the Microscoops and use the 156's...

Thanks, Joe.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 6:59pm
If you're short of space for transport, the X15 design as-is might not be the best plan.  They're actually the same volume as my single 15" subs!

It's very difficult to tell what something will sound like without trying it.  You can only make an educated guess about whether it will sound good or not.  If you want to go down this route then the PD156 would probably be a good choice.  BUT... I hope you're very strong and have heavy duty speaker stands!  A single sub and a couple of small mid-tops is gonna be much easier to shift around.

Edited by ceharden - 12 November 2006 at 7:04pm
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe SmokeyJoe wrote:

Another reason for not having seperate subs is the fact i only have the use of a Ford Mondeo to transport everything. Thats speakers, amps, decks, mixer, lights and flightcase (cables). So not gonna be much room for huge seperate subs.

My last plan was to have 2 Microscoops PD156 loaded and 2 smallish mid tops. But that wont all fit (after building a box the same dimensions as the Microscoop (its big).

How would the X15 sound with PD156's in it? Then when i'm 17 and buy a Van i can build the Microscoops and use the 156's...

Thanks, Joe.

You must have seen the designs I pmed you.

Cos those 3 way Eminence fullrange cabs will give decent bass, good efficiency and clear sound in a medium sized cab.

It's better to cross each range over actively. Well at least the bass section and mid, high section.

Then first design is an 18 inch tuned to 30hz, 12 inch and 1 inch comp driver.

2nd design is a 15 inch, 10 inch and 1 inch.

P.S: I'm in the same position as you: no van and very low money.

So if you choose the smaller 3 way design. I'd say use Eminence Kappa 15LF or Delta 15LF [at least]. Eminence Beta 10 [at least] and Eminence APT150 [at least]. Which would fit a tiny budget fine. And still sound good.

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 2:15pm
something like half a dm2 each side might be more the ticket.... or maybey some 12" reflex subs and 8" mid heighs???
or some 15" reflex subs and some x10s [single version if neccesary] for mid high
just some thoughts.....
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 3:24pm
Small sub(s) and mini top-boxes are the way to go for a compact rig.....
niteskydisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niteskydisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 5:43pm
if your strapped for transport space a trailer will give you near double the space provided youve got a garage to put it in or a friend with a garage theyl let you use.

Iv got a pair of X15s loaded with P audio C15-500LF cones and 2" compression drivers, if you put them in your mondeo there wouldnt be room for anything else!

You would ideally need two amps and an active crossover unless you used a passive one, passive crossovers are however in efficient and cannot be tweaked to the correct frequency like an active one. Its worth noting that active crossovers are very attractive for fiddling fingers though! i currently use a digital active crossover which can be locked digitally by a password to minimise this risk

A similar system wouldnt be cheap! a pair of 2" compression horns would cost you in the region of £200 per horn so your talking at least £650 on drivers alone, then add the wood, grills, amps, cable, connectors, wadding, covering feet, cabinet fittings. theres a lot more than meets the eye!

If your on a tight budget and can somehow improve on the transport situation you could possibly keep the existing tops and get either a pair of subs or use a 2.1 arrangement

If you have a bit of cash to spend and want a good active system then the HK Actor series is quite loud!! and is very compact

hope this helps!
4521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2007 at 6:30pm
Are there any recommended plans for a compact 15" sub?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2007 at 6:46pm
They're so easy you don't really need plans!

I've found a volume of about 100L tuned to about 45Hz works well.  Look on the B&C website and find the Sub15 design.  That should do you fine.  There's a similar one on the Fane site too.

Post Reply Post Reply