Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X15 - build with SD740n or BM D450???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuMOVEZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X15 - build with SD740n or BM D450???
    Posted: 15 October 2005 at 5:30pm
I am pretty keen to build 1-2 pairs of these but undecided on which speakers/ horns for hi end to go with.

Any advice/ tips/ information?

The use will be in a small club (150ppl).

I want as high quality sound and enjoyable as possible - my source is pretty good. I want to make sure I build the right mid-tops now. On this note, what expectiations hsould I have for the X15's Vs off the shelf boxes from EAW/ JBL/ NEXO etc???

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 1:36am
Don't expect the X15 to play in teh same league as a PS15. If you are crossing active, I would definitely go for a 2" if I were to do another X15. You can save a little money by going for a ferrite comp and going straight to the 2" driver on the pH3223 for a 90 degree design. For 60x40 the PH2723 is said to perform well.

Edited by Timber_MG
nuMOVEZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuMOVEZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 1:59am
Interesting -as the P15s or EAW FR series are both speakers I like.

So will I only be dissapointed by the X15's? I am after a good sounding box - one that I can live/ work with.

In the very least the X15 has to be a great sounding box that represents good value for the time/ $ invested. Maybe not the worlds best sounding box but one that isnt flawed and a uncomfortable to work with in small venues.

LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 8:03am
I have a 12" box with the P-audio SN-12mb with a SD450N neo 1" comp driver on a PH-220 horn. EVERY gig I do(weddings etc) is met with comments about the quality of sound(good of course!) and output is good too. Just two of these(with P-audio P180/2241 loaded 6th order bass cabs) filled a 300 seat ballroom(LONG room) with clear grunty sound.
The X-15 should therefore sound at least as good and the SD comp drivers seem to be really good(very crisp at the top end)
The only mod I've done since is beef them up to a dual 12" version with the lower of the 12"'s crossed at 500hz and the upper at 2k to the horn. More output,same sound
Speaker addict
nuMOVEZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuMOVEZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:08am
Are those running the x12's/ x15s doing so as passive or active?

Are the PAP crossovers spot on for the design?
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 3:17pm
The 1" version is spot on for the money, but nowhere nearly in the same league as the PS15. The PS15 also have some tricked out processing (inluding dynamics) which gives it its characteristic sound when pushed.

The SN-15MB is very well behaved up to 1.4kHz and even above that point it is still quite reasonable. A more capable driver horn combo crossed at 1.2kHz should be a very good playing partner but carefull about what comes out the very top. If you go active one can actually cheat a fair bit of top end out of some drivers, but then the objectionability of that hash varies between different people (I hapen not to mind it too much if it buys one a cleaner midrange)

I also have some 12"/1" Tops which sound almost too hi-fi for "PA" and the passive X15 (1" using PAP crossovers) doesn't quite make it there (though it is well balanced, the horn is just too small imo) With some other 1" drivers crossed at 1.5khz actively the reult becomes a little better on vocals, but

In larger venues that don't need very high levels the X15 is actually quite impressive, especially when crossed high-ish over something potent. When used fullrange, they need some EQ though and the X15 is actually a bit on the large side already (quite deep) but the efficiency from 150Hz and up starts to become representable.
nuMOVEZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuMOVEZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 6:02pm
Thanks to all for your input into this thread :)

So anyone running the x15s with a SD740N, PH3223 and PAP Vx2 ? - I am trying to understand if the "upgraded" top end payed off and you have a very good sound cabinet that's a plaeasure to listen to and a joy to work with.

Edited by nuMOVEZ
 Post Reply Post Reply