Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X15 driver protection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X15 driver protection
    Posted: 08 October 2006 at 5:01pm

Hi

I built two X15s a few months ago and I am really pleased.

Only thing is though I built them without any consideration for protecting the cones.

First night i took them out, the dance floor gets totally soaked due to loads of really f**ked people spilling pints everywhere. Next thing i know it looks as though some complete  has slipped over and pushed in the centre of the driver.

So lessons learnt I am now seeking a good means of protecting them cheaply.

Only thing is I dont really want to buy plain round covers as I think they will make them look gash.

Any good ideas. 
spanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2006 at 5:02pm
Also anyone know a way of pulling the dent out.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2006 at 8:35pm
Vacuum cleaner?  Or use a sharp point eg a pin to pull the dust cone out.

Only choices really are round grills or full grills over the front.  Markie on here does metal grills cut to size.  Not expensive.
spanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 4:46pm
are these tried and tested methods or guesses.

Just sounds pretty risky if you ask me. especially the sharp point one
Slim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 5:03pm

forget the hover get a sink plunger large one then plunge down using your fingers place over the cap then pull up hope that makes sence!!

as for protection i do freeparties and you cant beat the £5 speaker grills from maplin!

Edited by Slim - 13 October 2006 at 5:06pm
TURN IT UP!!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 6:52pm
Sink plunger? Are you having a giraffe? Don't they require way too much force to be applied?

I've used pins although it does leave a small hole in the dustcap.  Drop of glue would fill if you're really that bothered, unlikely to do much if you left it tho.

You could try blue tack or gaffa tape to pull the dent out.  Reckon using a vacuum cleaner would work fine tho.

Post Reply Post Reply