Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X15 MOD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X15 MOD
    Posted: 23 March 2009 at 8:07pm

15” + 1” Top / Full range -
15” = P-Audio SN-15MB or P-Audio WN-15S
1” = P-Audio BM-D450 on P-Audio PH-3220
Usable between 60Hz and 18KHz
Run Active or Passive[1.8KHz/12dB lo, 2.2KHz/18dB high.]

I saw these boxes in a list of builds here on speakerplans, they look impressive to me, especially since they're smaller than the X15's. I am wondered though if anyone had any experiences using them or something similar?

I'm loading them with some BL15-300X (15inch) + CDX1-1430 driver all Celestion plus I'm gonna run some passive Dayton XO2W-4.5K 2-Way Crossover 4,500 Hz crossovers in there.

On another note.., How much wadding is enough for this box? I read that wadding can be more than 3-4 inches thick once the vents are not blocked.  

http://www.myspace.com/audioalliance
music is our mission
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 8:55pm
EV Deltamax (ish). Also like CVA cabs. Works well. Mine sound better to me with no wadding, stuff always has, that could be my ears though as others disagree.
It's everything, not everythink!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 9:00pm
When it comes to reflex boxes like this, the size and shape is very much down to personal preference.  The size basically determines how much output you'll get from the port and the response immediately above it.  As long as the port ends up being tuned to somewhere sensible (close to the free air resonant frequency of the driver is normal) you'll be fine.  Especially as in most cases you'll be running an active crossover with some subs and not using the output of the mid-top in the frequency range where the port is active.

4.5kHz is far too high.  You need to be looking at 2-2.5khz region for a passive crossover.  If you use a 24dB/oct passive crossover you could probably get away with taking it as low as 1.6kHz, depending on the 1" compression driver.

Wadding needs to be done by ear really.  Start with none then add some and see what difference it makes.  2-3 inches is normal but depends on what material you're using.  Start by just wadding the back of the box to stop reflections back through the cone.

audioalliance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:51pm
I got the horns and crossovers 2.5khz and will start building the boxes this weekend.

I'll run the ports back 3 inches along the box with a slant on the front/ back edges so as to reduce port noise (chuffing). 

One question though...... What does the wadding really do for boxes? I mean some people say use wadding some say don't not to mention I've seen store bought boxes with and without wadding.

Does wadding ensure a deeper bass, does it ensure all the air moves towards the front of the box etc. What the hell does this "wadding" do for sound enhancement/ reinforcement. 
music is our mission
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 11:08pm
Wadding is essentially loft insulation or other sound absorbing material

It stops reflections and deadens the box to prevent reverberations etc

Jon
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 2:39am

Wadding needs to be done by ear really.

that sounds a bit dodgy might be that its a saturday night but that does sound a little dodgy......

me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 5:56am
I would consider moving the horn fully to one side and have a single large port.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Markk James Markk James wrote:

Wadding needs to be done by ear really.

that sounds a bit dodgy might be that its a saturday night but that does sound a little dodgy......

I thought so myself.  That's gonna be A WHOLE LOTTA testing after a build....  JEEEEZ.

Nevertheless I built them Friday and placed 2 inches of wadding on back and sides. I tested them long and hard at a outdoor event yesterday (11am - 2am) with about 300 people . 

The Results - They played really loud, even into the far off car park but the horns kept giving off a strange "clicking" noise once certain bassy tracks were played. Also there was a considerable amount of bass coming from behind the cab and not as much when compared to the front.

I pulled down the horns and noticed that my tech buddy had installed an additional bass filter along with the crossovers on the horn's driver. Today I'll put in the 4 inch slanted channels for the vents this should make some improvements to the sound and air flow of the cabs.

And maybe I dunno..., some more wadding...

QUESTION: I hope you guys don't think it to far fetched but would the 15 driver give more if it was not connected to the crossover...?

Originally posted by Glenn Glenn wrote:

I would consider moving the horn fully to one side and have a single large port.

The design I've attempted is similar to the midtop of the void viper rig but I've seen some designs with the horn to one side as you suggested.  Can you explain what would be some of the benitits. It shouldn't be to difficult to do a rebuild.Smile

Edited by audioalliance - 29 March 2009 at 10:04pm
music is our mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 8:09am
Originally posted by jonminns jonminns wrote:

Wadding is essentially loft insulation or other sound absorbing material

It stops reflections and deadens the box to prevent reverberations etc

Jon

Picked this up at http://www.diysubwoofers.org/faq.htm regarding wadding cabs

What happens if the box is too small?

If the box is too small will typically result in a boomy system that appears to have strong midbass and less low bass. 

Typically power-handling is improved though, unless the box is REALLY too small! You can compensate somewhat for a small box volume by adding stuffing to the box. 

The stuffing can make the box appear up to 40% larger to the driver. Note that sealed systems are generally a lot more tolerant of variation in box volume than are the other tuned-port systems such as the ported and bandpass systems.

Edited by audioalliance - 30 March 2009 at 8:13am
music is our mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 2:32pm
Done.... And they're kicking major buttocks.... Ran them and they sound great also I did add some polyester stuff and it did make a big difference in the depth of bass I get now. I don't have to push 'em as much to get a good sound out of them.

Now building some scaled down (10cm smaller) punishers to place with them.   
music is our mission
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2009 at 3:30pm
why scaled down punishers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2009 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

why scaled down punishers?

Portability, weight, space constraints etc. I'm move my stuff alone most times and I do get inside outside gigs, hence I need a nice bottom end that can do both types of events.

Punishers seems cheap to build plus they're very loud and can go very low. The only thing I've heard is they're on the heavy and takes two people to move one box.

So scaling them down may reduce weight somewhat and I can carry more of 'em in the hatchback car Big smile

music is our mission
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>