Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X15 or XM15??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_Hazard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X15 or XM15??
    Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:19pm
hi,
im planning on building a pair of one of designs, to go above a pair of x1's.
just wondering if the XM's could cope with being used in this way aswell as monitoring?

thanks

www.Bad-robot.co.uk

www.myspace.com/willhazard
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:35pm
The designs are practically identical apart from the shape of the box.  In my opinion the X15 is too big for what it is, so you might as well build the XM15. My tip: use the 18Sound 1086XT horn instead of the PH220, they sound rather nice!
Will_Hazard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_Hazard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:51pm
nice one mate, thats  what i wanted to hear!  just mean's i've got  the option for stage monitoring aswell as a smaller rig!

thanks for the advice!

cheers!

www.Bad-robot.co.uk

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:59pm
Yeah, i was going to replace my X15's with Dom's version as they really are a lot smaller and more manageable
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 2:36pm
I reckon you can make them even smaller.  I built a pair very similar to Doms (different wedge angle) but they still seem quite big for what they are.  If I build any more I will try to cut down the cab to the absolute minimum size (like a PS15 say).  I'll also scrap the straight bit at the front and go direct to trap sides.

The SN15MB doesn't really like to play very low, it's most happy from about 80Hz up.  There is no point therefore in sticking them in a large box and trying to get much low extension out of them.  If you want to make a proper full-range cab, a different 15" would be in required I think.

Another tip is to use 15mm ply.  I used 18mm and it's overkill. 15mm with a bit of bracing on the largest sides would be fine.
Will_Hazard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_Hazard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 2:46pm
one more thing, where abouts can i get  the 18Sound 1086XT horn from? seen the 18sound pdf but cant find nowt esle!

cheers! 

www.Bad-robot.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply