Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X15 setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X15 setup
    Posted: 23 October 2005 at 4:16pm

Am slightly struggling to understand difference between the two proposed setups for the X15. Can anyone using the VX2,the SD 1.5" etc setup enlighten me as to its advantages? Also if anyone's using the VX2 do you know the info on its power/peak as it is not up on Pro-audio parts.. - on the subject what is the Paudio PC 5038 anyway? I cant find it anywhere on their website... Hmm.

Help appreciated.

angus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 9:53am
I am currently trying to decide between the two setups myself and short of actually listening to them side by side, I think it comes down to a question of practicality. I.e. the smaller non-neo magnet 1" comp driver (450) will sound nice when the cab is run passive and can also be tweaked a bit when run active to get a nice sound but it may not keep up with the rest of the system. With a 1.5" or 2" driver on a 2" horn like the 3223 you have that ability to go louder and further later on when you run active maybe.

The downside is that some people say that the larger diaphragm comp drivers can sound harsh at the top end. Again it comes down to personal choice and listening to them (so I've been told many times!).

Just wish I could get somewhere and listen to them in the X15 cabinet

Oh, and the 5038 is a horn adaptor, 5th from bottom on this page.

cheers,
angus

P.S. Martin (TimberMG) said in a post recently that he would definitely go with the larger comp driver second time around - is this correct Martin?

(My 2 x15s are the start of my rig as they are very very versatile. I suppose in the long run, once I have added some kick bins and/or subs to them, then I would replace the x15s with some nice modular horn mids and tops and then use the x15s as monitors or in fill. I currently have no plans for monitors when using the x15s and imagine it will be the muddy, back-of-the-box sound that gets used as the monitor . Point being, big comp drivers can be harsh when used in monitor applications - cue whinging DJs, me included. But can't you just cut this 'harshness' out with EQ???)
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 12:02pm
Yup. Though it needn't be a P.Audio comp, there is more to what is generally mentioned on this forum.

I find the post 8kHz ringing on 3/4" diaphragm compression drivers to be OK, assuming using a decent horn AND setup (watch what happens of axis). I would use a larger waveguide/horn with the driver with a 15, for singles likely the 3223 as indicated in the plans if it were an off the shelf jobbie.

I would also drop the shelf port and use two tri-angles to shave off some of the box's height (allowing it to rest upright on say a car-seat). It is not a compact box by any stretch of the imagination.

The BM-D750 (740 is a 1.5" version) is reasonably heavy and the 450 isn't exctly light by modern standards either, but it shouldn't mind a 1.2kHz cross to a 15". ft it is to be passive (more practical) I would check out the crossover options (do PAP do something for the 2"/1.5" setups?)
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 1:58pm

I've been playing with SMAART tonight on my X15 which is standard to the Option 1 parts apart from using a PH2513 instead.

I was crossing over using 12db LR filters at 1.6k lowpass and 2.2k hipass.  Once i'd got it on the screen i tweaked it until i came up with the flattest plot without using EQ.  Ended up with 1.6k lowpass and 2.3k hipass both using 24db LR filters.

There is still a dip in the response at 2k but no amount of tweaking could bring it up without EQ. Must be the comp driver and horn characteristics.

I then used EQ to do the rest

-4db BP at 4.3k with Q=5 to remove a hump in the plot, right where it can make hihats and stuff seem really hard.

+8.5db hi-shelf 12db slope at 13k to bring out the sparkle a bit.

They were surprisingly flat all the way down with a little hump near 50hz.  I'm not sure if the PLX have the ramped filter like the RMX's but this could explain that

Here's the final plot once i'd levelled the amps out and applied EQ

Edited by norty303 - 29 October 2005 at 9:33am
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
 Post Reply Post Reply