Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X15 with two 15’s?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixMan X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X15 with two 15’s?
    Posted: 28 September 2005 at 3:55pm

Hi there guys,

Anyone built a pair of X15's with two 15" divers instead of just the one? I'm wondering whether it would be best to double the internal volume or have two separate enclosures?

Also, I would like to use the D750 2" compression driver with a bigger horn, any thoughts on this?

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 4:19pm
Well the general concensus is that you should use 2 separate enclosures that way if one driver dies the remaining one is still operating in the same volume
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
MixMan X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixMan X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 4:26pm

Good point, I'm wondering if I would get a bit lower bass with one large enclosure though?

Also, I've just thought about the problem of a passive crossover capable of handling around 800w.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 7:45pm
That sort of cabinet is going to have to be active to get the best out of it.  Probably also cheaper and easier than trying to make a big enough passive x-over.  You won't get any significant difference in output between one large enclosure and one divided into two.

If you mean a B&C DE750 on a big horn, go for it, they're excellent CD's, used in some big name boxes.
MixMan X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixMan X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 1:58am
I was actually looking at the P Audio BMD750 comp driver?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 5:54am
Sorry, too much of a B&C fan!
 Post Reply Post Reply